RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 week old BLF that shows a lot of potential, drive and a little bit of independance. With a typical attention span for a young pup, she tranes to please for the allotted ten minute daily session and then does her own thing. Her favorite is seeking out and ingesting deer feces in fields surrounding my house. Today, after doing some yard work, I let her out of her kennel for play time. Meanwhile, I put the rake and shovel I had been using away and then went into her kennel via an inside door that connects to a hallway that accesses another four adjoining kennels and swept out all the dog hair that collects there. After finishing, I shut the door and went back outside but there was no sign of my pup. I figured she was in the fields seeking deer scat. I started looking in all the suspected places she is in the habit of going but no pup. Now I started to worry. I got on my ATV and toured the adjoining farms and woodlots. Still no pup. My wife joined the search and I started covering the roads. After an hour searching, panic started to take over. I almost had myself convinced that someone had picked her up and left the area when my wife waived me in. She had heard a lot of noise coming from inside the kennel hallway and guess who had snuck in behind me when I had swept that hallway and then shut the door.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Doncha hate it when that happens!!! Phew!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
The other day I could not find my beagle (detection) dog. Looked for about 10 minutes until I heard a noise coming from the pantry closet. AKA treat closet

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
:p:p
It only gets worse!

I could tell ya a story bout a WalMart parkin lot, my truck,, the long walk home, the phone call to police to report it stolen,, the return call as to where they found it!:oops:

Man!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was watching a small dog for my mom and I let the thing out to do his business and I went in to grab my hat and gloves cause it was cold out, when I came back out there were the 2 labs I had and no lil dog- I looked everywhere until finally I got a phone call saying that a neighbor had let him in cause he was running through their back yard and he looked really cold- damn Chia dogs- needless to say the thing isn't going to be watched by me anymore.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have 4 black Lab puppies that were 3 1/2 old and was walking them down to the neighbors for a chat. He wanted to show me what he was doing inside his house so I left the pups outside for 3 minutes. Went back outside and counted puppies, there were only three and I look down the freeway and a black car owner was putting him in thier car. I panic and start yelling to no avail. Go home call the regional animal control and the sheriff. After doing that I take my dog truck and go back to the neighbors to check footprints in the snow and sure enough what I saw was correct. Leave my dog truck parked in the road to report to the neighbor. come back out and there by my truck and outside the freeway fence stood two animal control ladies who told me my dog was at the local store waiting for me to pick him up.
Was I relieved to here that. The people that picked him up were looking for thier dog that took off when they rolled thier suv three days prior. Thankfully their dog was also found by a hiway maintenance man. It was hiding in a culvert close to the accident scene two days later.
Clay

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Big trip to the vet for hip and elbow clearances, plus some other DNA tests. Required a pile of paperwork, which I had assembled and had organized. Jumped in the truck, got halfway down my road, and realized I had loaded everything but the dog. Duh. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
My senior moment occurred last week when I drove 8 1/2 miles with my tail gate down on my Ainley dog trailer ! (don't ask)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I can feel your pain. I used to let the neutered dogs run free for an hour or so after getting home. Mostly, they would hang around the house and chase wabbits and such. After losing one to a coyote, it changed the routine and my thought process. And, even now coyote packs are in the back of my mind. We live on a river, and though I can't imagine leashing the dogs, i worry (probably irrationally) each time we take the pack for a walk. I would think the big dogs are fine, but not sure. Little dogs, a different ballgame.

And, about ten years ago, long before I reached possible "senior status" I did the same thing with the tailgate. 150 mile drive, and half way in, a honk and a pull over look from a driver on I-5. Man I felt stupid and negligent! It happens. Only once I hope;)

I bring up the former, to suggest that there are a lot of dawg responsibilities, many unforeseen----we can't always have all the bases covered. I am a prudent, responsible dog owner, and had one eviscerated. We do the best for our dogs, but we are human---

Take care, John

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I started down the road from my house and looked in the side mirror to see a black head looking out the trailer door! Somehow the door didn't latch when I closed it and I was only going a half mile to a field and didn't put the snap on it. She was just riding with her nose in the wind. Lesson learned,I always put the snap on them now no matter how far I'm going.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Big trip to the vet for hip and elbow clearances, plus some other DNA tests. Required a pile of paperwork, which I had assembled and had organized. Jumped in the truck, got halfway down my road, and realized I had loaded everything but the dog. Duh. ;)
A good acquaintance showed up to a hunt test with a client's dog and realized he had forgotten to load it in the trailer when it was time to air the dog.... whoops!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts