RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the opener for many areas for doves, early teal season, early goose season. In western Montana it’s mountain grouse season. We got one blue and two sprucies. Please don’t correct me and say blue grouse are now called dusky. I made a new law that if you are over 60 you can still call them blue grouse. 😀😀😀😀 Hot and hazy so I got a tired and content dog at my feet so it was a successful day. ❤❤ if you got out today please add your pics.
Dog Carnivore Plant Blue Dog breed

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Tomorrow is more of the quest for two points to get to Padukah. Then October for ducks and geese for my retired girl.
Greetings from Mission Valley
Jeff

·
Registered
604 Posts
Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Feather

We are in full-swing up here in Alaska. Grouse has been open since Aug 10 (sharptails, ruffs, spruce) along with ptarmigan, caribou, sheep. Waterfowl and moose opened yesterday. Black bear is open year round.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have been after the geese here. Shot 14 yesterday and 25 this morning. My dogs first goose hunts. She had trouble at first with figuring out how to fit them in her mouth but after some yard work yesterday afternoon she is doing much much better and getting the confidence built up (y) I sure have been proud of her when she has earned new titles, but nothing beats a successful hunt with a good dog for me

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'll be shooting my share of Ruff Grouse starting Tuesday. It opens this weekend, tomorrow. I don't hunt on the weekends, to many people in the woods and I don't like looking over my shoulder waiting on a 4 wheeler coming up behind me. Week days are just me, my best black dog friend and the peaceful nature of the woods. NOTHING BETTER!!!

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
We have been after the geese here. Shot 14 yesterday and 25 this morning. My dogs first goose hunts. She had trouble at first with figuring out how to fit them in her mouth but after some yard work yesterday afternoon she is doing much much better and getting the confidence built up (y) I sure have been proud of her when she has earned new titles, but nothing beats a successful hunt with a good dog for me
What do you do with 39 geese????

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
View attachment 90652
We are in full-swing up here in Alaska. Grouse has been open since Aug 10 (sharptails, ruffs, spruce) along with ptarmigan, caribou, sheep. Waterfowl and moose opened yesterday. Black bear is open year round.
Those red phase Ruff Grouse tails are hard to get. I’d be willing to pay for a tail or two!!
An almost long forgotten Colorado fly pattern called the “ Breadcrust” ! You split the vein of the tail feather, and wrap the hook! Perfect imitation of a cased Caddis! Killer pattern!
I have about a dozen cherished tied right now, maybe two feathers left, then my stash is gone.

Gooser!

·
Registered
10,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Those red phase Ruff Grouse tails are hard to get. I’d be willing to pay for a tail or two!!
An almost long forgotten Colorado fly pattern called the “ Breadcrust” ! You split the vein of the tail feather, and wrap the hook! Perfect imitation of a cased Caddis! Killer pattern!
I have about a dozen cherished tied right now, maybe two feathers left, then my stash is gone.

Gooser!
Are you looking for individual red tail feathers? if so I'll get you some this fall.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
Are you looking for individual red tail feathers? if so I'll get you some this fall.
Individual feathers would be fine
Awesome! Thanks!
The fly only requires the feathers vein, which must be precisely split, the the feather part needs trimmed to a specific lenght, depending on hook size
The bird must be in the “ red Phase”.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
I rarely Hi- Jack threads, so, I gonna mis behave :) and post the history of this great pattern!

Dorsey, a fly tier/ guide/ Flyshop owner in Colorado credits Ed Rolka for flys development, but, the original pattern came from a guy in northeastern Pennsylvania in the Pocono Mountains by Rudy Sentiwany. !
Rolka altered it a bit, and stated tying for Colorado shops!
It was in as much demand as a Holland puppy!!! :). If you had them, you caught fish! Still holds true today!

The history!

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
I’m kinda stayin on topic…

September ( combined with October) are two one of the finest most colorful months to chase Trout in Western Colorado!
Superb weather and beautiful foliage!

:).
Gooser

·
Registered
89 Posts
What do you do with 39 geese????
We are up to 88 so far in 4 hunts! My girl decided to come in heat 5 weeks early so she has missed the last couple hunts and a hunt test this past weekend. We make smoked snack sticks out of them with jalapeno and cheese. They are delicious. About the only way to make these greasy resident geese worth eating

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Spatchcocked Oak Plank Canada Goose

1 Plucked and dressed Canada goose(large)
3 cups buttermilk
1 cup Dale's Steak Seasoning
3 stalks fresh rosemary
2 quarterd Vidalia onions
1 tblsp coarse sea salt
1 tblsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 9"x14" white oak grilling plank
1 roll baking twine

-Brine goose overnight in large mixing bowl with buttermilk and Dale's Seasonong.
-Soak grilling plank in water for four hours.
-Preheat pellet grill to 325.
-Arrange onion quarters on grilling plank, laying rosemary stalks on top.
-Rinse, and spatchcock goose.
-Spread spatchcocked goose over the rosemary and onions meaty side up onto grilling plank.
-Tie spatchcocked goose securely to plank.
-Sprinke with salt and pepper to taste.
-Carefully place in grill for 25 minutes for medium rare(135⁰ F).
-Remove and rest for 15 minutes.
-Clip twine, throw goose in ditch, eat plank!
-

1 - 20 of 30 Posts