RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
View attachment 90652
We are in full-swing up here in Alaska. Grouse has been open since Aug 10 (sharptails, ruffs, spruce) along with ptarmigan, caribou, sheep. Waterfowl and moose opened yesterday. Black bear is open year round.
Those red phase Ruff Grouse tails are hard to get. I’d be willing to pay for a tail or two!!
An almost long forgotten Colorado fly pattern called the “ Breadcrust” ! You split the vein of the tail feather, and wrap the hook! Perfect imitation of a cased Caddis! Killer pattern!
I have about a dozen cherished tied right now, maybe two feathers left, then my stash is gone.

Gooser!

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
Are you looking for individual red tail feathers? if so I'll get you some this fall.
Individual feathers would be fine
Awesome! Thanks!
The fly only requires the feathers vein, which must be precisely split, the the feather part needs trimmed to a specific lenght, depending on hook size
The bird must be in the “ red Phase”.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
I rarely Hi- Jack threads, so, I gonna mis behave :) and post the history of this great pattern!

Dorsey, a fly tier/ guide/ Flyshop owner in Colorado credits Ed Rolka for flys development, but, the original pattern came from a guy in northeastern Pennsylvania in the Pocono Mountains by Rudy Sentiwany. !
Rolka altered it a bit, and stated tying for Colorado shops!
It was in as much demand as a Holland puppy!!! :). If you had them, you caught fish! Still holds true today!

The history!

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
I’m kinda stayin on topic…

September ( combined with October) are two one of the finest most colorful months to chase Trout in Western Colorado!
Superb weather and beautiful foliage!

:).
Gooser

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
A friend of mine tells me his recipe make goose taste like corned beef!

I must be doing something wrong, unless he means “corned “ is being hit by an International Harvester (corn binder) truck!

I can tolerate good goose sticks ( jerky).

Uncle Bill took all the Geese he harvested to processor in South Dakota somewhere. That processor made goose sticks that were really good!
Uncle Bill would hand them out to workers that worked his HT he judged!

Gooser.

Reactions: Roffey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts