RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to "Hobble" my wing clipped ducks so that they can wander around the yard but still be restrained enough that I can catch them when it's time to go back in the pen.

My thought is that eventually they will learn that this is "Home" and I can just let them run loose.

Don't really want to just send a dog to do the job.

I've tried large rubber bands which has not worked so far. Considering a weight tied to one or both feet.

Any suggestions???

Jerry

· Registered
545 Posts
My grandad used to raise fighting roosters in Kansas. He had Most of his roosters tethered in the yard w/ 30gal drum for it's coupe. They were on leads tied to leads attached to one leg. They couldn't get close enough to the other roosters.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

· Registered
868 Posts
Jerry said:
Considering a weight tied to one or both feet.

Any suggestions???

Jerry
We used to do that with quail & pidgeons for pointers worked well.

Took a short piece of old garden hose about a foot long and punched a hole near the end and looped a rubberband through it then around the birds foot.

We could launch birds from a box launcher on a point and they would fly 40 or 50 yards then do it all over again.

· Registered
58 Posts
There was an article in "Gun Dog", I believe, that talked about this with pigeons. Use a heavy enough weight that they can flush and fly a little way and are easy to find and recover the bird for another day. I'll try to find it.

Jeff

· Banned
3,611 Posts
Jerry said:
I'm trying to figure out how to "Hobble" my wing clipped ducks so that they can wander around the yard but still be restrained enough that I can catch them when it's time to go back in the pen.

My thought is that eventually they will learn that this is "Home" and I can just let them run loose.

Don't really want to just send a dog to do the job.

I've tried large rubber bands which has not worked so far. Considering a weight tied to one or both feet.

Any suggestions???

Jerry
You can try going to the Peabody Hotel and pick up on some duck traing tips. :lol:
Ducks on parade
Guests enjoy the parade as the Peabody Ducks march into the lobby for their daily swim in the Royal Duck Fountain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.