RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Server Moving Tonight

9K views 74 replies 38 participants last post by  TroyFeeken 
#1 ·
We'll be taking the server offline at 9:00 CST tonight (5/17/12) to make the move to a new server. We apologize for the inconvenience, but after talking with Chris, we decided it would be better to do it on a weeknight rather than have the RTF down for a prolonged period on the weekend.

#5 ·
New board looks great. Just figured I would pass this along though. When I come to the main page it always says I am logged out, if I click on any forum it shows me a logged in. I have remember me checked, so it does keep me logged in, but it appears that I am not when I am viewing the main page for all the forums.

#9 · (Edited)
Also when typing my cursor keeps moving out of the text box I then have to click back at the end of my sentence to continue typing, this seems to not be present on every thread but on a few I have tried to post on. This one is not one of those with the issue. Just figured it out. It only happens when quoting someone.

#53 ·
Just typing to see what Jason might be encountering. So far, I've not had a problem with the cursor moving while I've been typing this. I wonder if it might be something specific with Jason's computer and not the new software?

#15 ·
that is a work around but does not allow the user to go to the main page and choose among forums

Hopefully this will get sorted out. Also hope the display issues with the top of page get cleared up too.

#13 ·
Looks good. I use this format on other forums and it works well. One thing I don't like here is now the ads on top combined with the RTF logo take up most of the page that you see (I am using my iPad so it may not on a full size screen).

#19 ·
Understandable. Perhaps Steve and Chris will help us understand the benefits of the new format.

#20 ·
Guess what folks....I don't like change either. Unfortunately our friend Mr. Gates at Microsoft and the folks who make our discussion board software have BOTH chosen to move forward with upgrades. With the upgrade at Microsoft came compatibility issues between our former VBulletin version and their browser.

Our former VBulletin version was also no longer supported by VBulletin and we were having a number of errors that were happening behind the scenes requiring system re-boots and other issues.

Hopefully the bumps experienced today are temporary and the end result will be a more efficient and reliable set of boards.

Thanks much to Steve and DNT Media for getting the move and upgrade done to this point.

Chris

#21 ·
Looks great!

#22 ·
Chris,

For me, many bulletin based social sites like this using VBulletin are content with the default themes and skins. The blue color scheme is the same as HRC's forum. Doh!

I'm gonna suggest that you guys consider a slighlty different color scheme and look and feel about the place.

#25 ·
How do you know if you have a new private message?

#28 ·
There's a setting under My Account, General Settings under the Private Messaging header called New Private Message Notification Pop-up; set that to Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up.

#29 ·
A number appears beside "Notifications" when you have a PM.

#30 ·
We will all learn as we go.

This new software version is as new to me as the rest of you.

I am NOT a forum guy. The only forum I spend time on is RTF. So you all who frequent other forums will know more about various newer versions than I.

I did as one poster suggested here and deleted my old bookmark. I logged in to RTF on the general main page, then created a bookmark. Since then, it remembers me.

For private messages, go into the PM settings, send a new PM and send it to yourself as a test. You will see how it pops up. I think you will like it. Like Wayne says, it gives a number next to "notifications" and it is also offset in a different shade of color to "pop" out.

Chris

#31 ·
one thing we have on another forum of which I am a member, that is very popular, is a "thanks" button at the bottom of each post. Is that possible on this new server? It's similar to a "like" button.

#32 ·
Ugh. Another forum I frequent just changed to a similar format within the last couple of weeks too. We'll get used to it but when you're used to seeing the same for several years, this looks so foreign.

#34 ·
I think the new look and format is fine, just takes a little getting used to.

#35 ·
OK, I'll say it, I seriously dislike the new format. But still grateful for RTF and everyone who makes it happen. :)

#37 ·
It's going to take a little time to get accustomed to the changes. I'm figuring out the various different things I have to do to moderate the classified forums to keep them up to date.

I preferred the old set up with the user name and avatar at the side of their post, instead of how it is now over-top of their post. But again, it's probably just going to take some time to get used to all the changes.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.