RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never shackled a duck before what would be the best way to go about this ? I want to make sure The duck doesn't fly a way on me

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Cut 1/2 to 3/4 of the wing feathers with a scissors and tape the feet with duct tape. You should be good to go.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Use a panty hose. Cut front for head tie back. Then little by little cut holes for legs and then one wing.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
moscowitz said:
Use a panty hose.
This should be fun! Call your sweetie up and tell her to save you some of her old panty hose, that you need them for something special.

Report back to us, the look you get. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Surveyors marking tape works great.
The same stuff we use to mark blinds.
Hold the wings together and wrap the tape around the base of the wings five or six times and tie off.
Even the beak. Duck hissing can be intimidating to a shy or young dog.
The tape has no stick-um. It is soft and tears off easily.
Removing the tape is necessary if you want to save the duck for another training session.
The big killer. The duck isn't able to beat it's wings and soften the landing if you throw the duck as a mark.
Pulling flight feathers instead of shackling allows some softness to the landing if you want a live flapping mark you can throw again and again. Tying the feet allows you to throw the duck as a memory mark without it walking away from the area of the fall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ducks

It depends on what you want to use them for. If you use them in the water, they will use their wings to swim, and dive. So I use a large, wide rubberband on their legs, and a nylon ( like pantyhose) strip to tie around the base of the wings. It should be tight enough so they can't fly. If I use shackled ducks on land, I tie their feet with a rubber band, and clip the flight feathers ( about 1/2 way down the feather) on one wing only. If you tie up their wings and throw them on land, they often end up with internal damage. and die. They need some wing flap to keep from hitting the ground hard enough to do internal damage.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I use strips of elastic waistband cut off of old underwear on the wings, and a rubber band on the feet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want them to fly naturally wrap their head with vet wrap coverering their eyes. Make sure you don't cover their nostrils. When you throw them or kick them out of a winger they will flap but come down quickly but softly and just sit there. May have to reinforce vetwrap with duct tape since they will try to scratch it off. End of day just take siccors and cut tape off. This also works well if you have a bad shot for your gunner on a flyer. Bird flaps naturally, if they miss you don't lose duck.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
obxdog; are you saying you wrap their head & cover their eyes & dont have to do any other shackling or wing clipping? If so that would be great

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use Zip ties

1 - 12 of 12 Posts