RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't have any puppy hunting pics :( yet!!

First bow kill:

First turkey (hen) Fall 2011:

can we include fishing pics as well??
2011 National Musky Championship:

·
Registered
732 Posts

Twas a cold day in GA!!!

Me, Dad and my Bro Bones and Hooch

Me and my brother and Hooch...one of the best dove hunts ever.

The biggest Goose Hooch ever picked up...

My favorite pic...This was one of Bailey's first hunts and one of Hooch's last. Awesome morning with a couple of great friends in a Ga duck swamp. I will never forget this one..

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Here are a few from last season. You can see ice on the water, northern birds were just coming down, probably my best duck season since 1965!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
STOP!!! I've got months and months before I can break out the guns and dogs again, No Fair reminding me yet ;)

Still nice pictures...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Me, my CLM Boomer, my friend's BLF, and the ducks we shot that day:

Boomer and the fruits of our first snow goose hunt:

Not my first buck, but my first mule deer, and my biggest yet:

Finally, just because I like the pic, Boomer eyeballing the cats across the street:

·
Registered
123 Posts
My late lab flushing a bird (just happened to be a hen, but still thought it was cool to get a picture of it!).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Donald Flannagan... Howd those "ducks" to the left of your dogs crate in the second pic taste for you :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Donald Flannagan... Howd those "ducks" to the left of your dogs crate in the second pic taste for you :p
Those aren't ducks...they're COOTS! But then, you knew that :cool:.

I love to hunt, but most things we hunt don't taste all that good to me. Doves, ducks, geese, and deer taste a lot like liver to me. I've tried cooking it rare, I've tried cooking it to well-done. Liver! I've heard snow geese called "flying liver". Quite appropos (sp?). I've always like deer jerky. Pan-fried deer comes out well many times. Deer chili comes out well 90% of the time. And by that I mean not only I like it, but other people like it. I tried the duck jalapeno popper-wrapped-in-bacon thing, and like they say, you could wrap doodoo in bacon, and it will taste good. I like it, and so do most. A friend of mine likes to smoke ducks and geese after marinating it in a maple-syrup-based concoction, and it tastes good.

But by far and away, the best way I've found to cook any wild game is.....

GUMBO!!!!

I took the breasts from some coots, ducks, and geese, and threw them in a pot. For a real test, I put in the gizzards, hearts, and necks, too. I figured if gumbo could make those nasty parts taste good, it can make anything taste good. So I covered it with water, added salt, cayenne pepper, an onion, garlic, and other spices, brought it to a boil, and then simmered it overnight to make the stock. The next morning, I put in the rest of my ingredients (mostly gathered from the various recipes posted here on RTF), and simmered it all day. That evening, I took that pot, and served it to a group of city boys, and didn't tell them what it was until after they had tasted it. The consensus was 1. it tasted good! and 2. it tasted like beef! You can't tell a coot breast from a goose gizzard from a teal breast by the time you're done.

When I like it, and can get people who "don't like wild game" to say "it's good!" and mean it, I consider that a success.

So for all of you coot-haters, I challenge you to shoot a strap of 'em (limit in California is 25!!! but I haven't take that many in one day yet), and make some stock out of 'em, and cook up a big pot of gumbo. I dare you to prove me wrong!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'd heard so much about how nasty coots ("poule d'eau" here) are that I was flat amazed when Cajun friends showed me different. Now, I'd not want to eat any duck prepared by someone who can't make coot tasty. When I cook poule d'eau, it's usually just sauteed in butter with nothing more than a dash of Lawry's and eaten while still pink in the middle. Complicated stuff, that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can filet a coot breast and bread it and fry it like fish and it's pretty good also. But I'll take a smoked mallard breast over it anytime.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I know how you "Eastsiders" hate the "Westies" Ryan.... So, I can keep it local...

Or, keep heading East another 18 hours+/- lol.....

·
Registered
217 Posts

This is after a morning hunt with my friends dog suzie my dog was just a few weeks old at the time

Another morning in the Arkansas timber

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the river 3 limits in 45 min

Arkansas rice field are limit ( all scrap ducks) and 2 specks we were in the field maybe 30 min

1 - 20 of 22 Posts