RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About "Jenny Willow". Just finished it for the first time and its everything you said.

Covers a lot of ground .....grabbed me pretty good in places.

Cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's a great book. Gaddis' Zip Zap is well worth a read as well. It is a memoir of sorts about his experiences with English Setters on the pointing dog field trial circuit.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I read Jenny Willow because of this thread and agree it is excellent! I may have enjoyed it more than Zip Zap, which was great also.

Buck

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
But the big question....were tears shed? ;)

I have re-read that book half a dozen times...and I know how it ends...but I still cry every time. Beautifully written by a true bird dog man.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I must have missed the thread .Who is the author and what is the book name. I started reading and really enjoy a good book.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Sharon Thank you. I will get the book ASAP. My all time favorites are big running , tail cracking Pointers. Just don't have the wild bird population to justify keeping one now. I kept a pup out of Satilla Sam X Luminary Kate line for over thirty years. Then went to Labs.:):)

·
Registered
521 Posts
The book definitely didn't go in the direction I expected it to. My eyes may have sweated a little! ;-) It was very hard to put down after it got going.

I grew up with pointers. When I read Zip Zap a couple of years ago, I was ready to go out and buy a pointer and a horse! I really enjoy the way Gaddis writes.

Buck

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jenny Willow--Sharon -Thank you for a great read! It is a well written and moving book. If you don't shed a tear or two or have a lump in your throat you have a hard cold heart. Now I have to wait for Zip Zap.

If you like the work of Mike Gaddis you may like the work of Nathan Jorgenson:
Waiting For White Horse, The Mulligan and A Crooked Number

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Sharon, While I was down home Judging at Magnolia Retriever club in my home town of Flora MS my book arrived at home. Every time I go home I can almost hear the dogs of yesteryear raising cain when I go by . Many Many good memories brought back to the surface. I have always loved dog books but most were read when I was a young man. I just read the first chapter and sure can relate to Ben Willow. As was said earlier" my eyes started sweating" and I see that I have to take this in small bits instead of all in one bite... THANK YOU .

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Derrick I was reading before ABC's............LOL> I have always had a big place in my heart for horses and dogs.........

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Derrick I know you so I knew that......been way to long seeing you my friend. Jpaul and I was talking about the early days this past weekend.
John Robinson I read that one also Thasnks for reminding me:) I liked the BIG RED series by Jim K......can't spell last name also

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well finished Jenny Willow.....what a great read !! I am anxiously awaiting Zip Zap nw....Thanks again Sharon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts