1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot this today at Lunch......The key points on the video for me are

1) She holds at HEEL through the mark

2) She charges HARD at the water once released

3) She comes back to a very SOLID Heel after delivering to hand.

Now.....What do y'all think?

http://vimeo.com/42347886

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's pretty darn great for 5 months! Love your bird boy - he knew just how to fix that potential water cheat on return.

Have been interested in Boykins for a while, but never met one - how are they as companions when not training? Are they as spun as the field springers? Or are they calm enough to hang out with?

Jennifer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty darn great for 5 months! Love your bird boy - he knew just how to fix that potential water cheat on return.

Have been interested in Boykins for a while, but never met one - how are they as companions when not training? Are they as spun as the field springers? Or are they calm enough to hang out with?

Jennifer
Jennifer,

They fit right in here. I have a 13,8 and 5 year old and the Pups love it. I also have a One Eyed Shotgun Survivor Rotty rescue and a Jack Russell...They get along great....When you put the Lanyard on....It's ON! But otherwise they are very nice pets....Very...Very smart

Robert

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way...Shaw and Mojo are my first Retrievers so my Family is learning as we go....I am following Sound Beginnings and Smart Works with a few controversial twists of my own thrown in.

The Pups have been sitting remotely, doing doubles and Water Re-Entries since they were 3 months old.....All of this was without ANY pressure and they didn't become confused.

I just started FORMAL E Collar OB yesterday.

Robert

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
don't ya just love it when they get out of the water, run right up to you and SHAKE the water off?? lol
nice looking pup

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
By the way...Shaw and Mojo are my first Retrievers so my Family is learning as we go....I am following Sound Beginnings and Smart Works with a few controversial twists of my own thrown in.

The Pups have been sitting remotely, doing doubles and Water Re-Entries since they were 3 months old.....All of this was without ANY pressure and they didn't become confused.

I just started FORMAL E Collar OB yesterday.

Robert
Nice job although next time try to set up a mark without angle entry and exit for a pup. You want to be stretching out the swim distance well before introducing angle entries and exits..

Also use caution in mixing programs or (controversial twists)....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job although next time try to set up a mark without angle entry and exit for a pup. You want to be stretching out the swim distance well before introducing angle entries and exits..

Also use caution in mixing programs or (controversial twists)....
It was intended to be a 90 degree mark but my 5 year old Bird Boy needs some more arm. LOL

I know...I am sticking to Evans program to a T through the rest of the process.

Robert

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't ya just love it when they get out of the water, run right up to you and SHAKE the water off?? lol
nice looking pup
Thank you and yes....I was soaked after the second pup ran. LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My pup is 5 months and this gave me a good idea at where he should be.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting this. My pup is 5 months and this gave me a good idea at where he should be.
Corey

My Male....a littermate to Shaw is at a completely different level with the exact same training regiment so please dont put too mich stock into one video of one dog.

Your dog may advance faster or slower...Just read your dog and dont try to attain an imaginary ladder step because of my video, books or even training DVDs.....Your dog will tell you what he/she can handle and when.

Best of luck

Robert

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I agree with Terrie, when your dog exits square you are promoting cheating. To solve this, have your bird boy on the other side of the pond then it doesn't really matter where they throw it and you get a longer swim out of the deal. Also don't always require them to be steady. At 5 months old I like to throw as many breaking marks as steady marks. Your little pup doesn't seem to be crawling out of her skin to retrieve, give her some more freebies to build excitement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with Terrie, when your dog exits square you are promoting cheating. To solve this, have your bird boy on the other side of the pond then it doesn't really matter where they throw it and you get a longer swim out of the deal. Also don't always require them to be steady. At 5 months old I like to throw as many breaking marks as steady marks. Your little pup doesn't seem to be crawling out of her skin to retrieve, give her some more freebies to build excitement.
Not trying to be contrary but the video below is what I have to do at least 10-15 times BEFORE we are calm enough to train.....At 5 months she has a BUNCH of drive and energy....This is number 15 and 16 today before the water work.

Please check out this video on vimeo http://vimeo.com/42368156

·
Registered
144 Posts
Corey

My Male....a littermate to Shaw is at a completely different level with the exact same training regiment so please dont put too mich stock into one video of one dog.

Your dog may advance faster or slower...Just read your dog and dont try to attain an imaginary ladder step because of my video, books or even training DVDs.....Your dog will tell you what he/she can handle and when.

Best of luck

Robert
The reason i said that was because my pup preforms at that same level and it was nice to see the compliments yours got. Just reinforces when i feel like we are behind that im not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts