RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my chocolate male lab is very gun shy I figure why not train him to shed hunt but the problem is i dont know how to train a dog to shed hunt and my lab is a year old so is it to late to train him? So if anyone could give me some tips on how to train a dog to shed hunt i would love to know how to do it. so if you know anything on how to train a dog to shed hunt let me know. Like what commands to use and what i should do during training session.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No its not to late to train for shed hunting.
Get the Dokken Shed Hunting Book- $10. Dokken makes a whole line of shed training equipment- Rack wax, Rack Wash, Antlers, ect..
Check HERE for more info.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I started out by giving my pup a shed as a chew toy and taught him that it was a 'shed' and started playing Find the Shed games with him around the house. We are currently taking a tracking class in hopes to teach him how to use his nose better. Earlier this spring I had a buddy hide some old sheds in the woods and we went around finding them. Big rewards when they do find them!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Roger Sigler is a foremost authority on the subject of shed hunting. He's a good dog man, and a good guy. Check out his site http://www.antlerdogs.com/

Evan

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Several weeks ago I saw some type of "shed trial" on an outdoor channel. Sheds were hidden on a course and dogs were timed. Interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts