RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on shed hunting programs? I've got a 6 year old blm that wants nothing to do with guns but goes nuts over an old shed I've got. I think it could be kinda fun and give me away to include him in my training session. As he is my 1 bud.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Dokken just released a Shed Hunting DVD. I've purchased it and gave it a watch recently and will try to follow his program. I've already got my 15 month old blm very very interested in sheds and am doing several nose classes to develope/tune his nose finding skills.

It's a great experience to get out in the woods with your dog and just walk around. Your dog can work and you can scout trails for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just saw the dokken one on gundog seems reasonable enough might give it a try thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Tiffany Lakowsky and her dog Tank make an appearance in the video as well. :D:p

·
Registered
511 Posts
You need clean, untouched sheds to train them correctly. Trust me, they will key off of your smell on the shed, not the odor of the shed. Sheds also smell differently in different parts of the country. Make it a game, its a fairly easy concept to teach, and a ton of fun.

Ken, that was hilarious.....

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've tried it a little bit with my dog and she seemed to catch on quickly but she would grab the sheds so hard it worried me for her to loose an eye so I cut all the tips off down to within an inch or or the main beam.I have had them in my woods for about 3 months now and they are marked with pieces of orange tape on the tree above them. Like duck truk I made it a game and she seemed to enjoy it ,we will find them again this fall.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You need clean, untouched sheds to train them correctly. Trust me, they will key off of your smell on the shed, not the odor of the shed. Sheds also smell differently in different parts of the country. Make it a game, its a fairly easy concept to teach, and a ton of fun.

any idea what type of soap/wash would work best? not able to find any ingredient list from the Dokken Rack Wash. I see he also has a litle Rack Wax that comes in a little lip balm tube but I ain't paying $10 for one.

I play find the shed games around the house as well. I'll hide it when I let him outside to do his business. This way he knows what the actual item is when I ask him to find it.

This spring I had a buddy place some sheds in certain spots and let the dog loose. He didn't do that great but he didn't have any training prior to that other than games around the house. We've since taken tracking class so I hope for a better spring 2013. (plus I'll now incorporate this dokken training as well).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Shed hunting is not a new thing or atleast not out West. My biggest problem is it is during my busiest time of year. Shed hunting is not much different that training a detection dog upland dog and so on. Feel free to pm or give me a call 208-989-9913 With a dog that is Force fetch and has good drive you can teach them in less than a week to find sheds.

·
Registered
700 Posts

So if you can't touch them how can you train with them? Do they pick up on the scent of rubber gloves too? I am interested in trying this with my older dog that loves sheds and is horrible with birds. Going to buy Dokken's DVD but haven't just yet. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jamee

·
Registered
511 Posts
We use rubber gloves when we handle them. We've had much better results that way. When we started, we had some clients bring us untouched "wild" sheds. We still get some from clients as we don't have a ton of deer around here.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I accept spare antler donations for my training, FYI!!! Had a couple offers that I never followed up on. stupid me, dog is down to his last one right now off the buck I took this past season. I have a hard time following through with things, even something as awesome as free antlers. I'll learn my lesson some day.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I accept spare antler donations for my training, FYI!!! Had a couple offers that I never followed up on. stupid me, dog is down to his last one right now off the buck I took this past season. I have a hard time following through with things, even something as awesome as free antlers. I'll learn my lesson some day.
Is this what your looking for?;) Driftwood Basket

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
hey buddy!!! how you doing?!?!?:cool: what could you possibly need all those antlers for?? you making mounts for people? some of those look like they are still attached to some skull. you know, if you have any extras just taking up space and not sure what to do with them, I could, I mean, I be willing to take them of your hands. I'll pay shipping!!!! (this offer is open to anybody as well) some of those are pretty nice!!!

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Daniel i would check with your deer processors. I clean and process my own deer but i know alot of times people kill "small" bucks and dont care to get the antlers back so the processor accumulates a good bit. Ive known people to go by there and get rattling antlers before. Worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts