RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to have surgery some time this year, what limitations would i expect with my dog's training? i can think of is handling. can't back or over cast to that side.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You don't say what the exact nature of your injury is but I can tell you my experience. In January I had rotator cuff surgery to repair a large tear in the supraspinatus tendon and remove a bone spur. It was all done arthroscopic so just three small holes. For two and a half months I had to sleep in a recliner, keeping the arm in a padded sling. It has taken months of physical therapy (at times painful) three days a week. For me the "back" signal would be the hardest, I'm still working on getting that arm straight up. My advice is start Physical Therapy immediately after surgery and go faithfully until they release you. During my PT sessions I've watched a lot of other shoulder patients and the success rate varies with the nature of the injury and (I think) age of the patient and their willingness to do exercises at home as well as their PT sessions. good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had surgery to reattach my labrum and remove bone spurs in December. The bone spurs on my shoulder looked like the Grand Tetons! 3 weeks after that I took a four day duck hunting trip to Arkansas, much against my doctor's wishes. He said it was a very foolish decision and I replied that he obviously wasn't a duck hunter! Should have listened to him.

I'm STILL sleeping in the recliner as a result! Like it was stated above, it really depends on what is being corrected. But dogcommand put it best: start PT ASAP and follow their instructions concerning exercises at home. And when they offer to ice your shoulder down after a session, SAY YES!!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No handling limitations. Cast with your good arm. Benjy Griffith handles Pow with one arm (Ozzie when he was around). They seem to do pretty good for Al Arthur with both hands as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Over the years I've had both rotator cuff surgerys done, both left and right. I first noticed the left one when I was giving a left angle back. Just as I rammed my left arm up I let out a scream and I have no idea what my dog did! I had open surgery in New Orleans and they sent me home with a sling, some rubber bands and several instruction sheets. Cleo helped with my theropy. I would lie on the edge of the bed and Cleo would slowly raise my left arm until it started to get tight. Then she would stop the motion and as I started to relax, she would give it one more little push. She just loved to help me with my theropy.

I had to go back to Oschner's for additional theropy on a weekly basis, and I had a truly beautiful young theropist and about the forth week she said I was doing so well with my theropy, then added before she thought about how it sounded "for a man my age". (I was 64 at that time). The other two times I went back to get my shoulder I just walked past her station and waved.

The right one was done orthoscopicly in Hattisburg and it went better, even without Cleo's dreaded help. Both still give me a little trouble, but I'm 82 now and everything else hurts, so I don't really notice things as much.

One thing is clear. I do reccomend that you give the exercise every chance to help you that you can. If you happen to have a wife or girlfriend who is a little devious, she may get a little bit of joy out of assisting you with the beginning of your exercise. I rigged a pulley in the big front room of my kennel with a circular rope with a couple of handles on it so that I could lift the weak arm with the strong one as many replications as I could stand. I still hit it a lick every now and then just to loosten them up. Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a torn labrium in the left shoulder, may have one in the right as well. I go Monday for the arthogram. I will not have surgery til after duck season. so it will occur in Feb. of course that is before and during spring test season. its a 6 month time for full recovery. not looking forward to this at all. do not want my dog to fall to far behind during this period. @southwings, how long before you were able lift arm for casting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was able to lift my arm 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Fortunately I had begun PT before my Arkansas trip. I just allowed myself more time in the morning to stretch and do my exercises. You just need to be more deliberate when you are raising your arm. My labrum was completely detached and the ball of my arm looked like, as my doctor put it, crab meat. There was a lot of damage inside.

I would plan to take it easy for weeks 1 and 2. Also, wear your sling until they tell you to take it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts