RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not familiar with shots given to puppy litters. My sister just got a Siberian Husky pup(11wks; was told that it was 8wks). The person that she got the pup from claims that the pups has had their FIRST SET OF SHOTS and has been WORMED. Furthermore, he claims that he himself gave the shots and worm meds to the pups. Is it possible for a "backyard breeders" to give those types of shots and worm meds to pups. The place did not look hospitable to say the least.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Many responsible breeders give their own puppy shots and worm the pups themselves.

I worm my pups at 3, 5 and 7 weeks. First combo shot should be given at 7 weeks, then again at 10, 13 and 16 weeks. Rabies at 16 weeks.

If you are concerned about the truthfulness of the breeder, consult with your veterinarian and decide how to move forward with the pup.

Meredith

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I am not familiar with shots given to puppy litters. My sister just got a Siberian Husky pup(11wks; was told that it was 8wks). The person that she got the pup from claims that the pups has had their FIRST SET OF SHOTS and has been WORMED. Furthermore, he claims that he himself gave the shots and worm meds to the pups. Is it possible for a "backyard breeders" to give those types of shots and worm meds to pups. The place did not look hospitable to say the least.
They can send for the vaccinations and dewormer like everyone else. I would make sure you start the vaccinations and continue the series because if he lied on the age, he could lie about anything.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When we were raising pups we wormed at 2, 4, 6 weeks and our Vet gave the shots and did a complete health check. When the pups went home it was reccomended that their Vet give future shots, boosters etc. The new pups best friend is his or her new Vet. It is good that the new Vet is familiar with your dog if some unforseen problem arrises. Our vet has seen over 1000 pups from us over the last 20 years and I'm glad to say that we have retired before he did! Bless you Tom Watts, you have been a great friend all these years. Bill Watson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts