RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 year old Chocolate female. I took her to the vet for a heart worm test, rabies shot and distemper(?) shot. Her appetite and everything else about her was fine before the vet visit. Now, four days later she has hardly eaten a thing and is looking bad in my opinion. Could this just be a reaction to the shots? I want to give her a couple of days if I can just to be sure it's not just a reaction from the vaccines.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
GO TO THE VET!!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is not a reaction to the vaccine, at least, not one that would just need to be weathered through. The serious reactions I have seen/heard of from vaccines happen very quickly after the shot is given.

Get her to the vet. Right now if you have 24 hour care available to you. She doesn't need to wait any longer than she already has.

Good luck and I hope she will be on the mend soon!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Just a side note......if the dog "looks bad" then they are bad - these dogs don't "shows" signs of being bad often unless they are truly hurting - they tend to have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort.

Get to the vet!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
163 Posts
3 or 4 years in a row my male was sickly after the shots. It seemed to me that this all started after we added a yearly lyme booster to his regime. This year that was removed and he had no reaction to his yearly shots. I am convinced that he was reacting to the lyme portion of the regime. Do you give a yearly Lyme booster??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I absolutely agree...get her to the vet now!

And please keep us posted on how she's doing, and what it was.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took her to the vet Friday before I read any of these replies. She is going back to the vet again this morning. The heartworm test he gave her last week was negative for HW, but it showed that she had atleast been exposed to something else. He gave her some light antibiotics. I have been giving her the medicine since then. I cannot remember what it was but it was "tick borne"...not Lyme disease, but something else. I think it started with a "B." I thought she was coming around because she ate better and she will wag her tail. But, she started not eating again. I tried to give her some boiled chicken and rice yesterday and she wanted nothing to do with it. This is killing me! She is normally 80-85 pounds and still acts like she is 2 years old. Now, i bet she doesn't weigh 70 pounds. I am to drop her off at the vet this morning. Hopefully I will know something soon. Thanks for the replies!

G

·
DownEast said:
I took her to the vet Friday before I read any of these replies. She is going back to the vet again this morning. The heartworm test he gave her last week was negative for HW, but it showed that she had atleast been exposed to something else. He gave her some light antibiotics. I have been giving her the medicine since then. I cannot remember what it was but it was "tick borne"...not Lyme disease, but something else. I think it started with a "B." I thought she was coming around because she ate better and she will wag her tail. But, she started not eating again. I tried to give her some boiled chicken and rice yesterday and she wanted nothing to do with it. This is killing me! She is normally 80-85 pounds and still acts like she is 2 years old. Now, i bet she doesn't weigh 70 pounds. I am to drop her off at the vet this morning. Hopefully I will know something soon. Thanks for the replies!
I believe the HW test normally includes erlichiosis...

Hope she feels better soon...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Kristie, I know you don't remember but you gave me a lot of online help with this dog when she was getting started about 7 years ago. It was on WRC.

G

·
DownEast said:
Hey Kristie, I know you don't remember but you gave me a lot of online help with this dog when she was getting started about 7 years ago. It was on WRC.
those were the days... LOL Keep us posted on how she does....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just talked to the vet. He thinks this is something totally unrelated to a tick borne problem. The doxycycline should've started taking care of that. Her white cell count is so astronomically high that his cell counter cannot count them. If he had to guess he would say the white count is probably higher than 75,000. He is going to try and get some urine from her and see whether or not something is going on with her kidneys. There is a bad infection somewhere and hopefully he can find it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would absolutely think that this could be a reaction to the vaccines. A totally healthy dog who 4 days later is so sick...what happened in between? Vaccines. I would be asking my vet about AIHA as there is some reseach that shows that AIHA can be brought on by vaccines and extremely high white blood cell counts would occur. Here's some info: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_imha.html (there are a couple of links at the bottom of that page that offer good info too). Hopefully this is not what's going on with your dog but defintely a diagnosis I'd ask my vet about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts