RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 14 year old dachshund woke us up the other night with what we thought was a stroke. A middle of the night vet trip later we were told that it's canine vestibular disease. Basically the equivalent of really bad vertigo. Have any of y'all ever dealt with this? If so, how long did it take for any form of recovery?

Thank you very much for any feedback you can give.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have an old friend who is dealing with this with his elderly labrador. I he lives all the way across the country and I only know what he posts about it on facebook. It seems that when it flares up it is really bad for a few days and then gets better for a while. It just flared up last week and he was having to use a towel under her mid-section for support just so she could walk around outside. He posted that she has improved a good bit now. This wasn't her first bout of it though. I wish I could tell you more.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My old girl had this - it was very scary at first as I thought she'd had a stroke. She was dizzy, couldn't walk straight, and wouldn't eat. She seemed to feel most comfortable in a crate and I hand fed her for about 3 days while she pretty much just laid low - and then it was over and she was back to her regular self. I think she is not quite as graceful as she was before the episode, but she only had the one episode which was about 2 years ago now and she will be 15 in September. I read that most cases of vestibular syndrome resolve themselves in a week or two but some dogs have more lingering after-effects than others.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have dealt with this personally and also with clients who bring their pets to the veterinary hospital I work at. Hopefully this should clear up for the most part within a few days, and completely within a couple of weeks. Did your veterinarian put your pup on any meds, often anti nausea meds will help, sometimes they will use the same meds they use for human vertigo.the best thing it seems for them is quiet, and only going out to go to the bathroom then back in to rest in a comfortable quiet place until this is over. I have never had vertigo, but I can't imagine how awful this must feel for them, and it is really hard for us to see them go through as well. Hopefully this will be almost better in a few days.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
How and why do they get this vertigo??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the information you have given us. Our vet put her on prednisone and Valium. She's pulling to her right so we are letting her lay on the affected side. Do you think this is ok?

Thank you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
She will let you know what is most comfortable for her. I would just keep it as quiet and calm around her as possible. I hope she is feeling better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts