RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me, but after an incredibly intense semester... the pressure is off and I'm giddy with the chance to just hang out on RTF and ponder the really compelling questions of the age...

Like what personalized plates to put on my new pick-up. (Toyota Tacoma.)

The truck is just for schlepping me and my little BLF to training and hunt tests. Years ago I had LABWAGN and the state of NV says they won't issue them again. (For typically obtuse and bureaucratic reasons.) I know already that LABWGN is also gone. 7 letters/digits max... any ideas?

And while I'm at it... inquiring minds want to know. At the HT's I've attended over the last couple of years, I notice the majority of big dog rigs are put on Ford Super Duty (usually 350's). Why the preponderance? (You can probably tell I've had truck envy for a while but told myself I'd never EVER need a rig that big and fancy. Honest. Not EVER. I swear. Even after I retire from teaching. Really.)

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Loved, loved,loved our Tacoma until we had to pull a 28' travel trailer around the country. The new truck is a chevy 2500. Great truck, way less $$ than equivalent Ford.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Forgive me, but after an incredibly intense semester... the pressure is off and I'm giddy with the chance to just hang out on RTF and ponder the really compelling questions of the age...

Like what personalized plates to put on my new pick-up. (Toyota Tacoma.)

The truck is just for schlepping me and my little BLF to training and hunt tests. Years ago I had LABWAGN and the state of NV says they won't issue them again. (For typically obtuse and bureaucratic reasons.) I know already that LABWGN is also gone. 7 letters/digits max... any ideas?

And while I'm at it... inquiring minds want to know. At the HT's I've attended over the last couple of years, I notice the majority of big dog rigs are put on Ford Super Duty (usually 350's). Why the preponderance? (You can probably tell I've had truck envy for a while but told myself I'd never EVER need a rig that big and fancy. Honest. Not EVER. I swear. Even after I retire from teaching. Really.)

Obviously a personal choice--mine says 7pntail. The name hails from the good ol days when pintail limits were liberal--days I never saw. One Pintail in the bag has been the the norm for most of my 25 year hunting tenure. Conversation piece for me--and a chance to explain my plate, in hopes of bringing back the good ol days. Most--think I am an outlaw:)

And, as far as trucks, go, got two F-150-s. , one with 195k miles, and one with 1700 miles. It has been a good truck. With current gas prices--I have been driving the Honda accord!

F-350 Like a Sherman tank--driven by people that have Napoleon issues. Unless, of course, they are towing, or, have a LARGE camper.

Nice to hear from another teacher! Have a restful break.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
If it were me with a topper, F-350 would be my go to truck. Not a chevy guy at all. I would own a Toyota. My next truck will be a 4 door tundra.

You have to wonder if ford is so bad, then why are the majority driving them. Heck all the gold rush guys drive fords.
you could use LABHALR for your plate.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
HNYBAGR...... 'cause like your truck and dog the honey badger is small.
But it don't give a_____ :cool: :cool:

Ken aren't you up way past your bedtime? LOL

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a Tacoma and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I needed a bigger vehicle to haul my 2 dogs and all my equipment to train so I technically bought it for the dogs and dog training so mine says "4MADGS" (as in For my dogs- a coworker suggested it). 4MYDGS was taken and one of my buddies has PUPTRK on his (Which I love) or I would have done that one. IL only allows 6 characters so my original idea of "2DOGNIT" wasn't allowed. I like the suggestion of LABHALR though. Good luck! You will love that truck!

-Jamee

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I AM loving the truck.I traded in a 2001 Tacoma (hand-me-down from hubby) that was so bare and basic it didn't have cruise control and it had a single cab. There was hardly room inside the thing for me a purse and a bag of books. I don't need a lot of luxury, but that cruise control thing... hated it. Having said that... it had 87,000 miles on it, was solid as a rock and there was no place it wouldn't take you (4WD).

I have the 6 cyl. 6 spd manual transmission and OMG I feel like I'm driving a caddy. So nice. I think the next HT I will be going to is Marin. Hope I have new tags then.

G

·
And, as far as trucks, go, got two F-150-s. , one with 195k miles, and one with 1700 miles. It has been a good truck. With current gas prices--I have been driving the Honda accord!
Tangent. If anyone was paying attention, John and Mark L and I met up for training a coupla weeks ago. John and I live in Lodi and he texted that he could pick me up if I wanted. Then I received another text that he would be driving an Accord. LOL. His yella, my three Goldens, a couple of bumper boys, a couple of dozen bumpers, a small wardrobe of training jackets...it makes for a great visual.

(BTW John, I also have an Accord but sources say my Dodge RAM 2500 is a lot hotter.;-))

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
LABTOY TOY4LAB.

MY 17 mpg F-150 mainly sits in park due to Napoleon's pain at the pump. The 35+ mpg Vibe is the current Lab hauler, fits two crates and my gear. Zen master,"Grasshopper less is more".

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Tangent. If anyone was paying attention, John and Mark L and I met up for training a coupla weeks ago. John and I live in Lodi and he texted that he could pick me up if I wanted. Then I received another text that he would be driving an Accord. LOL. His yella, my three Goldens, a couple of bumper boys, a couple of dozen bumpers, a small wardrobe of training jackets...it makes for a great visual.

(BTW John, I also have an Accord but sources say my Dodge RAM 2500 is a lot hotter.;-))

You are killin me Melanie! You had to know I had a truck. Hello--duck hunter, with 30 foot trailer in Colusa.

But, will admit BOTH of my trucks could not have transported all of your gear: Golden's everywhere, launchers, 200 bumpers at least, 6 white coats, crap I have never seen before in my life. You had so much stuff, the tailgate wouldn't even close!;-)

And for sexy------ your dawgs could have been riding in style! :razz:

Need to do it again.

Not wanting to jack the thread, and not as good as labwagn----but, labmobl possibly?

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
How about "Back" or "Baaack"?

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
I don't believe that Toyota makes a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I think the Ford diesel engine and transmission have been more reliable than Chevy over the years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts