RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often read in the forum that in North American FTs dogs can become "test wise" and play up in a manner they don't do at home. Similarly I read "Well, you can't reproduce the atmosphere of a Trial in training can you?"

Oh Really?

Take a peep at the link to the MAP Gundogs website in Cheshire, UK. who put on a simulated Field Trail day specifically designed to test dogs and handlers outside their comfort zones, and give the opportunity of correcting the dog without the walk of shame as you exit the Trial! I wonder if the same idea could be used across the water by a training group? Maybe it is? Different venues, lots of vehicles, lots of dogs and people, sound system, all that stuff. I've never been to one, but I know some of the folks involved and they are serious people. They also do a simulated driven day which sounds like fun.

Eug

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Wow Eugene!
That is very cool. Speakers in the bushes and hidden bird releases! Just Wow! I wish my pick up truck floated as I would drive over with the Chesapeake’s and train with you. We do simulate the test atmosphere, a bit. But NOTHING like that have I seen in my circle. The retriever club I belong to has adopted the FEO option for entrants in our club tests. Folk get the full test atmosphere of all the trucks and distractions and strange place. They may train, under the judges eye and are mixed in with the dogs actually entered in the test.
Also I, for many, many years have hosted a private training day the Sunday before my clubs AKC Hunt Test in Addison. It is on the property of a private farm turned duck camp of a family friend. Same thing. Many more trucks than the normal weekend private training group. On strange grounds for all of them, well except me. With birds and guns and smells and distractions. Many reading this have attended, it will be Sunday July 22 this year guys. All are welcome. Sullivan’s Duck Camp, West end of West road in Panton, Vermont. It’s a dead end road so if you miss us you just drove into Dead Creek, I’ll get the chain from the truck.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
We try to simulate FT/HT on a club training day i.e. many people, cars, holding blinds, decoys, birds, etc. However, there is still a difference and if I notice it I am sure the dogs also notice it. But we try.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Seems like when you strap the collar on they somehow know the difference!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts