RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone鈥檚 take on a mark that the bird sunk? That happened to me today 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At a test ? in training ? If a test they should call it a
no bird some real high prey dogs may dunk their head or dive for the bird
Happened at a test, I handled him back to area of fall, he was able to kick it back out. Judges passed me and took it to consideration. Duck sunk faster than a rock.

Registered
Your lucky, I ran my girl on a SH test, on a water mark... The kid throwing the bird, thru it short of the water and it hung up in a bush about 8 ft. high, overhanging a steep bank running down to the water. I asked for a no bird, judge glared at me and said "dog'! So I sent her on the water mark. She lined the mark well and crawled up on the bank smelling all around the base of that bush. She scented it, but did not look up...she got back in the water and worked the shore line and directly under the bush but never looked up. She went through that a couple more times, never leaving the area. (even if she had spotted it, there was no way to get up to where the bird hung up). Judge finally told me to bring her back to the line....they of course failed her....only SH test she ever failed! After the ribbons, I talked with the judges again, they would not admit a mistake or anything....I kept my cool, but I was not happy...

Nuff Said....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...

Registered
Happened at a test, I handled him back to area of fall, he was able to kick it back out. Judges passed me and took it to consideration. Duck sunk faster than a rock.
Sounds like the judges handed it ok.
If they where aware that the bird sank before releasing the dog, a no bird should have been called.

I would point out that birds thrown on land rarely sink and quite often make more challenging marks than birds thrown in water.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the judges handed it ok.
If they where aware that the bird sank before releasing the dog, a no bird should have been called.

I would point out that birds thrown on land rarely sink and quite often make more challenging marks than birds thrown in water.
DP, no one knew where the duck went after it dropped in the water, a 20 yard mark, the dog took a straight line to the mark but no bird in sight. He hunted tight, then figured he probably hunted short, then proceeded back. I handled him right back to the fall area to see if he can kick it up to surface. Fortunately, the duck slowly surfaced back up but still under water line after the dog swam around the fall area and he picked it up. Dog was the last few dogs to run and birds where really soaked up by then. Judges told me I did everything right by handling back to kick it up and gave it to me.

Registered
DP, no one knew where the duck went after it dropped in the water, a 20 yard mark, the dog took a straight line to the mark but no bird in sight. He hunted tight, then figured he probably hunted short, then proceeded back. I handled him right back to the fall area to see if he can kick it up to surface. Fortunately, the duck slowly surfaced back up but still under water line after the dog swam around the fall area and he picked it up. Dog was the last few dogs to run and birds where really soaked up by then. Judges told me I did everything right by handling back to kick it up and gave it to me.
That's what I though probably happened and I think the judges handled it correctly.

Registered
Was this at the Grand this past week??

Reactions: MikeJFalkner

Registered
My take is you completed the marking portion of the test when the dog established a hunt in the area of the fall, you did the right thing to bring him back to the area to work and complete the recovery portion of the test. The poster with the tree bird got royaly (explative deleted)...

Registered
Whats everyone鈥檚 take on a mark that the bird sunk? That happened to me today 馃檮
Should have been a "No Bird" however sounds like the Judges handled it well..
Sometimes early in the year the birds don't have all their pin feathers and when they wet and used a few times they will sink.. Most Judges are aware of this and will take the bad birds out to avoid any real issues...
Or discuss with bird throwers if the bird looks bad take it out of the rotation, however they are generally young and not experienced with all the facets...
Good Luck Going Forward!!

Registered
Most Judges are aware of this and will take the bad birds out to avoid any real issues...
I'll say it again, the issue can be avoided by not throwing birds in the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts