RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
HuntinDawg said:
...but here is my two cents worth:
To me that sounds like it's worth more than two cents. :lol:

I read your post to my wife, and when I got to the part about being proud of your dog, and a little cocky, she said, "Hey! That's you!" :shock:

What you say makes a lot of sense. Why prove what they're not testing on, and I have plenty of time to prove it in Senior and Master. My concern was in trying to set a standard now and avoid having to correct later. A good friend was telling me today, a test is not a time to train. The objective is to get the pass and have a good time.

I think I'll try to go with that. Thanks!

(anyone here going to the Hunt Test in Rogue Valley this weekend?)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Ron in Portland said:
HuntinDawg said:
...but here is my two cents worth:
To me that sounds like it's worth more than two cents. :lol:

I read your post to my wife, and when I got to the part about being proud of your dog, and a little cocky, she said, "Hey! That's you!" :shock:

What you say makes a lot of sense. Why prove what they're not testing on, and I have plenty of time to prove it in Senior and Master. My concern was in trying to set a standard now and avoid having to correct later. A good friend was telling me today, a test is not a time to train. The objective is to get the pass and have a good time.

I think I'll try to go with that. Thanks!

(anyone here going to the Hunt Test in Rogue Valley this weekend?)
I'm sure you will do well.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Well, I think consistance in training for sit-means-sit is a huge part of it. I know at training I am the hugest offender of lack of consistance. Darla is a huge creeper. Sometimes I bring my stick, and sometimes not. She pretty much gets nicked every time I call for birds for creeping during the first set-up. I get caught up in concentrating on making her focus on each particular bird, or focusing on making myself slow down, or anything else on the line, and then when she creeps I have to heel her back. Then the next bird goes and I get the creep, and so on. There is so much happening on the line that I forget to concentrate on that.

Mostly when I am on my way to the line, I am concentrating on making her heel, she is ready to blast to the line. She can hardly wait. So by the time I get there now I have to concentrate again. Grrr! Any movement I make, whether it is lining up for a blind, whatever, she is creeping. Then we have the fight. I HAVE to be more consistant.

I am glad Ted brought this up. Reminds me to make a commitment to that portion of the training. OMG! There is so much...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Well, I think consistance in training for sit-means-sit is a huge part of it. I know at training I am the hugest offender of lack of consistance. Darla is a huge creeper. Sometimes I bring my stick, and sometimes not. She pretty much gets nicked every time I call for birds for creeping during the first set-up. I get caught up in concentrating on making her focus on each particular bird, or focusing on making myself slow down, or anything else on the line, and then when she creeps I have to heel her back. Then the next bird goes and I get the creep, and so on. There is so much happening on the line that I forget to concentrate on that.

Mostly when I am on my way to the line, I am concentrating on making her heel, she is ready to blast to the line. She can hardly wait. So by the time I get there now I have to concentrate again. Grrr! Any movement I make, whether it is lining up for a blind, whatever, she is creeping. Then we have the fight. I HAVE to be more consistant.

I am glad Ted brought this up. Reminds me to make a commitment to that portion of the training. OMG! There is so much...
I had a major league creeper. I learned that I had better give her a nick the very instant she moved even one foot from the place it started. It's hard for a dog to creep without moving their front feet. The momentary mode on the collar is very effective at "freezing" a creeper. It was successful for me, anyway. Her line manners are about as good as any you will see at a field trial. She RARELY gets corrected for line manners these days.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had a major league creeper. I learned that I had better give her a nick the very instant she moved even one foot from the place it started. It's hard for a dog to creep without moving their front feet. The momentary mode on the collar is very effective at "freezing" a creeper. It was successful for me, anyway. Her line manners are about as good as any you will see at a field trial. She RARELY gets corrected for line manners these days.
LOL! You haven't seen the wonders of the Darla Creep! She can do it by scrunching her feet and moving! Seriously, I will be working on that and trying to be consistant. I have to bring my stick AND collar. Quit leaving the stick in the truck. You know, sometimes I think she actually likes the collar. You know, like a person getting a tattoo... She likes the endorphines. Do it again!! Wahoooo! :shock: ANyhow...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
LOL! You know, sometimes I think she actually likes the collar. You know, like a person getting a tattoo... She likes the endorphines. Do it again! Wahoooo! ANyhow...
LOL is right, Rudy used to get corrected with the wiffle ball bat, throughout the entire process her only problem was the bat getting in the way of her seeing the test. I always thought it pumped her up more, when it was over, let her rip, yaahoo!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bravo post,now if i could just get my clients to adhere to the same standards that i expect,then the world would truly be a good place.

Train Smarter not harder

·
Registered
318 Posts
As my Pro would say,"ARE YOU ASKING YOUR DOG OR TELLING YOUR DOG"?? If your asking........, we'll it's one of my problems and I have to constently work on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am , like many others, enjoying this thread. Many years ago I read a chapter in one of Bill Tarrants' books about how he dealt with the "sit, creep, break" problem by having a person stationed behind the dog with instructions to "tackle" the dog as the movement began. I didn't have a person behind me to assist, but I used the technique on 2 of my dogs and the method worked quite well. Knocked the breath out of both the dog and handler! Dog(s) got the"message" quickly. Always got compliments re steadiness at "tower shoots", in the blind, etc. "Sit means sit".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ted
Yours is an excellent post but it also brought something else to light. From your description it sounds like you behave differently prior to and during a trial than you do during training. I have seen this in other people a lot and the result is a trial wise dog, not because he knows the difference between a trial and training by sight but more likely because he was TAUGHT the difference by a trainer that behaved differently on trial days.
If you want your dog to behave the same on trial days then you need to work on giving him the right clues. He is ultra sensitive to your moods, your intensidy, your nervousness and your competetive nature. When you step onto the trial grounds ready to kick butt the dog knows it and he gets amped up because you are amped up.
I found that the calmer I was the better the dog performed.
If I read you wrong please accept my appology.
Lynn

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
We have a four year old HT girl that was developing noise issues at the line and other times as well. We started a couple months ago revisiting "sit". No latitude, zero tolerence.
Sit means sit, and sit quietly. Absolute enforcement in every circumstance from greeting ritual, to feeding time to training. Verbal corrections were coming along, but slowly. Then I found in the garage an old puppy training tool that had been forgotten. The plastic soft drink bottle filled with a dozen or so pennies. When I picked it up and shook it... Boom, her butt went down and her attention was riveted on me. It was a tool we had used during basic OB during puppyhood to startle her and get her attention. She remembered it. Noise issues are now coming under control. We let her get away with it, our fault, but now we don't. Sit means sit, and sit quietly until given a command to do something else. Every single, solitary time, without exception!

JD

·
Registered
236 Posts
Seeing the query about steadying a 3 y/o, I thought it would be helpful to pull this excellent thread back to the front page.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wow, I read about the first 20 posts before I realized they were from 2003. Interesting how some things in the dog world never change.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agreed, this is definitely a great thread.

I am also a 'newbie', but I am very interested in FT. Unfortunately they are not available in my area, and I'd have to drive a good 20 hours to get to one. I think I've started my pup in the right direction, and with lots more research and time devoted to training, maybe I'll trek that 20 hours just to experience it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not only a bump for a great thread, but a question.

I'm guilty of not enforcing commands 100% of the time the way I should so I know that is something I need to work on. Here's my question...If I tell my dog to sit while I'm talking to someone, walking away from her, etc and she lies down, is that also a 'Sit means Sit' situation? Should I correct for her lying down if I told her to sit?

I've seen some really well behaved labs sitting at heel for a few minutes when their owner is talking to another person or doing something and the dog lies down and I've never seen anyone correct their dog for that.

As a follow up to this question, when teaching steadiness at the line, the thread brought up the scenario where a dog become's trial-wise (no stick, e-collar, etc at tests). Do people train for that situation...training steadiness without the collar and stick, and if so, what drills do people use?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.