RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I used George Hickox

The Flushing DVD Collection of Volumes 1 through 3 with George Hickox
http://www.georgehickox.com/about_george_hickox_dvd.html

Took 3 two year olds through it and we're good enough to pass 11 of 12 HRC upland tests with the pups. I'm not an upland hunter, just wanted to get enough to pass the tests which is steady to wing and shot for 2 flushes per test. Would have been 12 for 12 but one of my boys caught a bird, then the reserve bird was a sucker bird and I mishandled the dog.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used George Hickox

The Flushing DVD Collection of Volumes 1 through 3 with George Hickox
http://www.georgehickox.com/about_george_hickox_dvd.html

Took 3 two year olds through it and we're good enough to pass 11 of 12 HRC upland tests with the pups. I'm not an upland hunter, just wanted to get enough to pass the tests which is steady to wing and shot for 2 flushes per test. Would have been 12 for 12 but one of my boys caught a bird, then the reserve bird was a sucker bird and I mishandled the dog.
George Hickox has my vote for sure. Good man and doesn't care for the mainstream critics. A lab man in heart.:)

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
My dogs don't use the toilet. They go outside. Nothing to flush out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I taught my girl sit to whistle first. Then we'd just walk a field and I'd take a bumper from my back pocket and throw it up over my head to land out in front of us. She never saw it coming. A good sit whistle or verbal to sit and in no time at all she learned it. Turned out all my dogs love this game! Then worked on it when she was coming in with a bumper in her mouth. Would toss one up and give her a whistle. She was less likely to go after it because of the bumper in her mouth. Didn't take her long to figure it out. They seem to enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
From the dogs point of view there should be a connection made in his mind that runs "sit to flush = a possible retrieve." That's his motivation and the tool we work with.

How we achieve this varies in detail from trainer to trainer, but Julie's method of inculcating a really smart whistle sit is the basis for most, together with a turn whistle to control the questing pattern. Once those are in place, start and firm up the sit command with sitting to a tossed dummy and then a cold (not frozen) dead bird thrown across the dogs path; hold a pheasant by the wing tip and spin it through the air so that the wings spread out and it lands with a satisfying clatter. I use dizzied pigeons poked into a brush pile to give a real flushing bird, and as soon as the dog reliably gives a sharp sit without a whistle, shoot the bird and let him have the retrieve. That is his first intimation of what all this training has been about; you'll see the penny drop pretty quickly.

After that it's just loads of repetitions and completely phasing out the whistle

At one time I used an electric remote controlled dummy launcher (made by Innotek and therefore a complete load of rubbish!) to launch the pigeons but I found that the dogs were sitting to the clang of the mechanism rather than the flush itself. You could rig up a simple flower pot with a bit of string arrangement as a cheapo alternative especially if you find dizzying pigeons a difficult art to acquire.
Eug

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Eug's approach to steadying a dog to flush seems good, but I like box launchers, too. (You can vary the locations easier to encourage hunting/"quartering".)

Here's SIT-to-flush:
SitToFlush.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts