RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Scout. While I was at work, Ralph took the boys out on a hike in the national forest. On the way back towards the truck, Ralph heard a "yip" and Scout was holding up his back left. Panic took over, that is the leg that has been diagnosed as dysplastic, and Ralph ran to him. Scout was holding the foot up and it was bleeding. He had an evil looking cut, straight through the whole back pad. Looks like he stepped on a broken bottle or something. Anyway, it was weird that we were happy it was a cut and not a recurrence of his hip problem. We have a lot of experience with cut pads from our days with oyster and clam shells, so we treated it with betadine and antibiotic ointment. But I would guess it will be 3 weeks or more before Scout can go hiking or training again. My kids can't seem to be all healthy and sound at the same time.:(

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
In 2 words... Krazy Glue.

I came home from a show on Easter Sunday to a "party" that ended up in blood everywhere. I'm guessing adolescent daughter tried to grab her mom's neck skin and missed-- got her ear instead and ripped it ~3/4". :(

TG I had a tube of Krazy Glue sitting there which I used after getting it cleaned up and ice on it to slow the bleeding a bit. I won't be w/o it in my First Aid kit anymore. Pictures at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3381864399848.144813.1666614414&type=1&l=e6f1753b68

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I know how that goes. Remember last year, Maggie started the spring by breaking a tooth off. Then in the fall she cut her back leg and sliced through a tendon. She rehabed most of the winter. On her first training day with a group this year ,I let her and Otter have a run after everybody left. We didn't make it 100 yards. The dogs ran into the shallow end of a pond and Maggie came out holding up her paw. She punctured her foot. I took her to the emergency vet to get it flushed out. After a week or so of drugs and wearing a boot to go outside she's all healed up. That was about a month ago. She's training tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully we can make the rest of the year without incident.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bummer about the cut pad. They can be a pain in the ***
The problem with any of the glues on a cut pad is that when they walk on it, it tends to pull apart from the pressure.
Treatment depends on how bad the cut is.
If small just bandage and rest.
If large and deep, then probably need stitches, the best is wide bites and stainless steel along with bandage.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are going to try the same methods we used to use for oyster shell cuts, etc. Wash out with betadine, stuff full of antibiotic cream and put on a boot for going outside. (I still have one of Indy's boots from his broken toe incident). I am not comfortable with sealing the cut with glue or stitches as I am afraid of sealing in bacteria. Regardless, I think we are looking at a month or so before training.:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts