RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my 8-yr old girl showed slightly elevated creatinine and BUN values. I swtiched her from performance to adult food just as a precaution. We drew blood again this morning for a 1-year test. Numbers about the same. My doc is not terribly concerned at this point--doesn't feel it is kidney disease per se. However, I am wondering if there is anything I can suppliment her with to help reduce the values.

Fish oil seems to be one thing recommended. Anyone have experience with slightly elevated numbers and have any success with suppliments?

Meredith

·
Registered
136 Posts
I always worry a bit about elevated renal enzymes (BUN/creatinine). Did your vet also do a urinalysis to see if the kidneys are concentrating normally or if there is protein in the urine. I would also suggest having a urine microalbumin and possible a urine protein:creatinine ratio run as well.

There are diets especially formulated for dogs with renal disease that you can consider. Fish oil is never a bad idea, but not sure that it will significant help renal disease specifically, but can help overall health.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Last year my 8-yr old girl showed slightly elevated creatinine and BUN values. I swtiched her from performance to adult food just as a precaution. We drew blood again this morning for a 1-year test. Numbers about the same. My doc is not terribly concerned at this point--doesn't feel it is kidney disease per se. However, I am wondering if there is anything I can suppliment her with to help reduce the values.

Fish oil seems to be one thing recommended. Anyone have experience with slightly elevated numbers and have any success with suppliments?

Meredith
What are The BUN and creatinine levels and what were they the last time checked? What is the urine specific gravity? What is the water consumption? All of this is pertinent in evaluating the renal function.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BUN 27 (normal7-25) Creatinine 1.6 (normal .3 to 1.4)

No change in 12 months. The young doc in my vet's office works with herbals and acupuncture. She suggested an herbal suppliment that has worked well for borderline cases like this in dogs and cats--puts them back in normal range.

No change in activity, water intake, etc. We have not done a urinalysis which will be next step. Supposed to run another CBC in about 6 weeks to see if the suppliment is making a difference.

Meredith

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Normal values are based on a population of dogs and vary slightly based on individual laboratories. Idexx normals for BUN is 27 and for creatinine is 1.8. Based on the the levels and time intervals between tests I would not be concerned nor would I consider your dog's results abnormal.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS! My doc did not seem concerned, but suggested we keep an eye on things.

Meredith

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be complete I would have a urinalysis done sooner rather than later to check specific gravity and see if there is any protein in the urine. I agree that they are not that elevated, but I have seen normal and slight elevations with protein losing nephropathy, which is a serious disease. The health of the kidneys will also be reflected in the urine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts