RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the small Derby numbers these days?

West Nebraska trial which closed last night had ONE (1) entry in it.

Reguarly Derbies have less than 15 in these neck of the woods (SW) with low twenties being a big derby.

Not that long ago a small Derby had 20+ with a regular Derby 30-40 dogs.

Are folks waiting to run the Qual, stopping after they make the list, not giving a _____ or what?

·
Registered
367 Posts
We've had some low entries on the east coast also. I'm not sure why. There have been a few under 10 dogs. Guess time will tell.

Brad

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Because my dog just aged out :roll:

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Quick! My dog turns 2 June 2nd. Any small derby's near me? :lol:

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Some people (okay....one person) thinks it's because of the crappy judging......... :roll:

.....and that one person ain't me..... :wink:

Look at the bigger Q entries regards,

kg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Derby's

Steve I agree with you. Last year Derby numbers were high and I ran against 6 of the top 10 Derby dogs every week. No, I think the real reason is that most Derby's are on Fridays this year and Q's are on Sat. This has increased the Q numbers but decreased the Derby numbers.

Lee Nelson

Firemarks Prayer of Jabez***

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
if you really look at it, it makes sense.

most dogs are only REALLY competitive between 18 and 24 months. in any kind of cold climate, an amateur who has to stay at home is going to have a large chunk of time lost to water training. their 18 month old is really 14 months old in "training time". this was the case for me and others i know.

so i ran a total of 3 akc and 1 ckc, and trained towards the time we were ready for the Q, which has no age restriction.

the folks with the most and most consistent success in the derby are doing it with pro training,in part, at least.

this is a VERY competitive stake. more difficult to place in than the Q the way i see it, you either go all out, which is beyond a lot of us, or you run a few locals for the fun of it. this equals less dogs.-paul

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, great!

My three hellions out of Gracie were born a month behind Queasy's 14!

So instead of chasing Queasy's skirt like I did with Archie I now have to chase seven Queasy's!

Good Grief!

·
Registered
403 Posts
paul young said:
most dogs are only REALLY competitive between 18 and 24 months. in any kind of cold climate, an amateur who has to stay at home is going to have a large chunk of time lost to water training. their 18 month old is really 14 months old in "training time". this was the case for me and others i know.
I've seen you say similar statements in other posts. There are a few Field Trialers that live in the south. You ever tried to train in the summer months down here? While not as bad as your frozen water, you are very limited in what you can do (like sending a dog swimming in bath temperature water).

this is a VERY competitive stake. more difficult to place in than the Q the way i see it, you either go all out, which is beyond a lot of us, or you run a few locals for the fun of it. this equals less dogs.-paul
Not so sure about that one either. It's not that easy to place in the Q's....whether its "more difficult", I guess that depends on the dog/handler that is running.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Tim West said:
Oh, great!

So instead of chasing Queasy's skirt like I did with Archie I now have to chase seven Queasy's!

Good Grief!
actually I think she had 11, but take heart, only 2 are Kweezy puppies :wink:

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
hi Kyle,

i understand what you're getting at, but look at it this way; in the hot months, you could get up early and do 1 single water mark,then you could do the same at dusk. if you train 5 days a week, your dog will have seen 160 more water marks. that's a lot of training, my friend. and the derby is won in the water.

as far as relative difficulty, to win a derby, you and the dog have to crush every mark. in a Q, the 2 blinds add another element. a very good marker that handles well may beat the pinpoint marker who handles poorly.-paul

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
paul young said:
<snip> a very good marker that handles well may beat the pinpoint marker who handles poorly.
You forgot - or the handler that handle's poorly ;) even though the dog handle's great!

Hacked A Few Regards,

FOM

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Paul Young; I don't follow your logic. Al Gore & global warming aside they have had 4 seasons and derbies have been limited to 2 years and under since the beginning of field trials.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
the derby used to be about raw talent and a little training. it has gradually become about raw talent and A TON of training.

the 4th series of the derbies i have run had memory birds that were of all-age difficulty. a "natural" marking dog had no chance of looking good on these tests. nor should they have. the game has evolved.-paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
that was an incredibly difficult double!

·
Registered
987 Posts
The first Junior Stake (Canadian Derby) of year in Ontario at Niagara Peninsula FT only has 8 dogs entered -- so guess same may be true up here in Canada too

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
EdA said:
Tim West said:
Oh, great!

Good Grief!
actually I think she had 11, but take heart, only 2 are Kweezy puppies :wink:
Gee why can't mine be ready before all these other dogs start running.

Hoping I got one of the two, Dennis Mitchell told me she looks like Percy regards,
Dave

1 - 20 of 58 Posts