RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend who is not on RTF is looking for an FC or AFC stud for her 45 lb. bitch. Looking for a smaller built stud. Something around 70 lbs. or close to it. Right now size and titles are the only requirements. Any one have any ideas? TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts
A friend who is not on RTF is looking for an FC or AFC stud for her 45 lb. bitch. Looking for a smaller built stud. Something around 70 lbs. or close to it. Right now size and titles are the only requirements. Any one have any ideas? TIA
FC AFC Bluenorths Rock Hard Ten is a 62-65 pound male with lots of go and bottom. I plan on breeding my 59 pound Ali female to him when the day comes

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What part of Cal? The size of the stud doesn't really matter. The dam has more influence with how the litter is than the stud. Example FC/AFC Hailee 45 lb bred to FC Ford. Females turned out 50-55 lbs. One FC, others QAA with some AA placements.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Instead of trying to gage size by weight ask for a specific shoulder height. Most retrievers are fat and out of shape and weight is not the best indicator of real true size.
An example would be when someone says they have a 90lb dog you can bet it's really a 65 or 70lb dog that weighs 90 lbs because it's fat.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Instead of trying to gage size by weight ask for a specific shoulder height. Most retrievers are fat and out of shape and weight is not the best indicator of real true size.
An example would be when someone says they have a 90lb dog you can bet it's really a 65 or 70lb dog that weighs 90 lbs because it's fat.
Not many fat out of shape FC or AFC dogs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not many fat out of shape FC or AFC dogs.
Is that right?
I guess it comes down to how you define "fat and out of shape". A dog running roughly 1000 yards once a day isn't gonna be in any kind of shape, at least certainly not the kind of shape it could or should be in. It wouldn't be in any kind of shape running double that distance for that matter TWICE a day.
The problem is the majority of dog owners, including competitive retriever owners have no clue what a conditioned dog looks like or how to get one into that sort of shape.
Here's a hint.... two set-ups a day won't do it ;)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
FC-AFC Knockout Punch II. He won a Double Header at Sooner weekend before last, solid uncomplicated dog, good sire.
Had a daughter of his, probably should have kept her! Great little pup. Very watery, intense retriever, quite intelligent! sweetheart of a pup and very pretty! She is working toward her MH currently.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Is that right?
I guess it comes down to how you define "fat and out of shape". A dog running roughly 1000 yards once a day isn't gonna be in any kind of shape, at least certainly not the kind of shape it could or should be in. It wouldn't be in any kind of shape running double that distance for that matter TWICE a day.
The problem is the majority of dog owners, including competitive retriever owners have no clue what a conditioned dog looks like or how to get one into that sort of shape.
Here's a hint.... two set-ups a day won't do it ;)
I think roading is a fairly common practice. I have never seen an out of shape competiton dog. But as you mention, that depends on what one's definition of 'out of shape' is. The dog that comes in for gun dog training, that's been laying on the couch for 10 months... is out of shape. And the trainer has 2 months to get the dog 'in shape' (both mentally and phsyically). A dog that's being trained for FT - hmmmm not so much..... Why would someone want to risk the health of a dog by running it in a trial when it is fat and out of shape?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You're wrong on this one Norwester.
Many, probably most, dogs of all breeds are out of shape and overweight.
Competing FC/AFC titled retrievers that are 20-25 pounds overweight (or even 5 to10)? Rare as hens teeth.

A dog running roughly 1000 yards once a day isn't gonna be in any kind of shape
Both of my retrievers exceeded that with the first two marks today. I think we ran ten marks, then couple blinds.
I don't think that is out of the ordinary for most field trial retrievers.

Today we even went pheasant hunting for about an hour in the afternoon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You're wrong on this one Norwester.
Many, probably most, dogs of all breeds are out of shape and overweight.
Competing FC/AFC titled retrievers that are 20-25 pounds overweight (or even 5 to10)? Rare as hens teeth.

Both of my retrievers exceeded that with the first two marks today. I think we ran ten marks, then couple blinds.
I don't think that is out of the ordinary for most field trial retrievers.

Today we even went pheasant hunting for about an hour in the afternoon.
Exceeded 1000 yards with two marks? Like each mark was 500 yrds? That IS impressive but, like I wrote that doesn't get a dog anywhere near it's potential for being in elite athletic condition.
I've done lots of walk out singles drills where the gunner starts out at 50 yrds and stretches out to 300 yrds plus, one mark thrown each side with a mark thrown every 40-50 yards or so.
Did the dog work?...yep..Was he in elite shape?....No he was not. Not even close.
I've seen AFC FC champs run and I've seen some and up close and personal. I would not call them in shape and it would be kind to say they were "heavy".

Tobias wrote,
"I think roading is a fairly common practice"

You think pros, who likely have the most competitive dogs, as that is their livelyhood, are out roading them?
Good for them if they are, but I've never heard of it. In fact I hear and have seen the opposite. That the dogs spend most of their time kenneled or on the truck when they are not running setups.

I don't suppose any of you guys watched the Pat Burns episode with Dr. Arleigh Reynolds?
If I recall correctly he commented he was quite surprised at how out of shape the retrievers were after attending a trial, I think it was. I may be paraphrasing here but the jist was he felt the retrievers were not the best they could be or should be.

When I was running beagles on snowshoe hare it was not uncommon for the dogs to cover 20 miles in an afternoon. I hunted/ran my pack everyday, minimum of 2-4 hrs. A slow to average day covered 10 miles. Those dogs were in decent shape, maybe good shape....but not quite elite shape. Most were a little heavy as we ran all winter and needed the extra weight for the cold.

Being athletic I've always been fascinated by strength/conditioning and that carried over to the dogs I kept.
I can recall roading them about 2-3 times a week. Each session would cover 30 miles roughly at a speed that varied between 5-10 miles per hour. Their diets were on point, (they were not eating commercial feed). Now those dogs I considered to be in elite condition or close to it.
Think sled dogs.
Think track dogs.

Now tell me most retrievers are in shape for the elite athletes they should be.

I'll just have to disagree you with guys on this one as that hasn't been what I've seen.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Exceeded 1000 yards with two marks? Like each mark was 500 yrds?
The marks were roughly 275yds x 2 = 550. Th dogs returned to the line each time so 550 x 2 = 1100yds. They also felt the need to get to the marks an anaerobic way.

There may be retrievers that run for 2-4 hours every day but I doubt any of them have FC/AFC titles.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts