RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Smartwork, you formalize obedience, and then move on to hold, but you don't CC the basic commands until after FF... so just using stick/lead pressue in Formal Obedience, how do I know when I should move on to hold?

We have CC to here, and he has that down. We are working on Heel and Sit (Sit as a Stay as well). We have done probably 2 weeks of daily Heel, Sit, etc drills and he heels great on a leash, and sits well on and off the leash (not always quickly, but he sits squarely and stays until released pretty reliably.) He will come to me and heel on my left as well. Don't know if I should expect off leash heeling and remote sitting at this point?

It seems CC to these commands after FF will polish all this up further, but I don't know when to know if he is ready to move onto Hold. He is 6 months and 2 weeks, so I am not opposed to continueing to concentrate on OB and delaying Hold and FF until he is a little older, but just unsure. I am going to swing by the vet and confirm all his adult teeth are in, it looks to me as they are, but just want to double check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you feel the dog will sit still while you are doing FF. This is the real issue with doing FF. You don't want to water down what you are trying to accomplish by constently have to tell the dog or correct the dog for not sitting.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Do you feel the dog will sit still while you are doing FF. This is the real issue with doing FF. You don't want to water down what you are trying to accomplish by constently have to tell the dog or correct the dog for not sitting.
That really is the point. Condition your dog to pressure now. You've used the heeling stick, but how stable is the dog when you work upscale with pressure?

Evan

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the response of.... condition your dog to some of the pressure that he will associate with when doing force fetch. After spending lots of time with my trainer and watching him...I was way to easy. Depending on your dog..there will be a battle at some point and I think most people starting off don't understand how to win that battle.

As for when to start with hold....I think OB should be solid but I don't think you need perfection....otherwise you may not get to hold for a long time. When doing force fetch you are usually still instilling obedience...such as when walking to wherever you force fetch etc.

I would say if he understands what pressure is and has his adult teeth than go ahead. I've seen a dog at my trainer that was perfect on heel/here, sit/stay, down/stay but still fought every step of the way during force. I don't think you can gauge a dog is ready for force fetch by how they sit. That's comparing apples to oranges but having a solid OB "foundation" is important because they understand what you say goes and if they don't they get pressure.

I agree with my trainer that you don't know truly what a dog is made of until you get through FF...that's when you KNOW what type of dog you have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really is the point. Condition your dog to pressure now. You've used the heeling stick, but how stable is the dog when you work upscale with pressure?

Evan
At this point, since we dont cc obedience commands until after FF what do you recommend as upscale pressure for sit and heel? We do use a pinch collar too. I guess thats something I am not clear on.

Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
At this point, since we dont cc obedience commands until after FF what do you recommend as upscale pressure for sit and heel? We do use a pinch collar too. I guess thats something I am not clear on.

Thanks for the responses
???????. Your scaring me man.
Honestly….Do you know what you are doing? This is your dog.....

·
Registered
54 Posts

Thanks for the responses
you don't need the E-collar to start increasing pressure.....I use a heel stick religously and leash that is a sinch or chain type. Never use consant pressure to guide them into position. The leash should be loose unless corrections are needed then just quick pops to let them know what they are doing wrong when they do it. I start adding just a little ear pinch on basic commands and it helps them understand that ear pinch is a correction and since they already know the command they understand how to turn off the pressure. My trainer likes to start this prior to FF. He also only CC's to here before FF.

No one can really tell where your dog is at from the computer. Everyones standards are different. It sounds to me like you are very much ready to start hold, FF. Or spend a few bucks and have a professional evaluate your progress and give you tips. Every dog is different and FF is the hardest part about dog training. Every dog is different when it comes to FF and no video will give the exact scenario's that you will encounter. Enjoy the battle and don't get frustrated.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

Thanks for the responses
Yes, a properly measured pinch/prong collar and heeling stick are preferred tools for formalizing heel & sit. What Smartwork materials do you have and follow?

Evan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, a properly measured pinch/prong collar and heeling stick are preferred tools for formalizing heel & sit. What Smartwork materials do you have and follow?

Evan
Basics dvd pack, smartwork vol 1 and smartfetch.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
You should clearly see the use of leash and heeling stick, as well as pressure conditioning. This is important. Your dog should understand stable responses to pressure BEFORE beginning FF.

Evan

·
Registered
502 Posts
TEACH, TEACH, TEACH, FORCE WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TEACHING THEN GIVE THE DOG TIME TO LIVE WITH HIS NEW LEVEL OF DISCIPLINE.
when your dog begins giving you unwnated misbehavior, he ready to move to the next level.
good luck
GG

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
when your dog begins giving you unwnated misbehavior, he ready to move to the next level.
good luck
GG
?

Evan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts