RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where a person can buy bulk smoked knuckles and bones? I would like to buy in bulk and stay away from the stores if possible.

G

·
You didn't ask for this reply, but I'm going to offer unsolicited information. LOL

When you get bones, get ones that haven't been smoked. The smoked bones are brittle and break apart. The shards can get up in their gums and cause abscesses...

I haven't bought a smoked knuckle or femur bone since the 2004 master national where I believe one caused an abscess in the jaw and behind the eye of one of my best dogs, preventing him from finishing the event (in my opinion! He was on pain meds).

I get the plain sterilized bones. The dogs enjoy them just as much and they last forever.

Just throwin' it out there. :)

And if you need a distraction, you can stuff things in the sterilized bones (like peanut butter).

-K

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I feed them raw...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nothing like the raw bones. Go to your local butcher & put them in your freezer. Stay away from cooked or smoked bones. They will splinter.
Raw ones also keep the teeth clean.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try www.thecaninecafe.com. She has good quality pressure cooked bones - the white bones are really good and aren't as messy, although they love the other ones. The quality of her other chews - the bully sticks, tendons, and cheeks - is also really, really good and consistent too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For raw bones go to your local butcher shop & ask for dog bones. Most butcher shops have them on hand. Usually frozen. Don't try to thaw them. Throw them out to the dogs & they will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Ask for the leg bones and have them made about 6 inches long. Some butchers can order them by the box of 50"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts