RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i would like to know if there are any coming up in the northwest (idaho, montana, eastern washington) and if any of you have had and experience whether they work or not.I mispelled clinics

thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just talked to my vet today and he gives the shot...and does the clinic too..i do not think my dog would spook at a stick,so that does not bother me. Can you PM any more info? Thanks

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Hmmm, I'm on the fence w/ that one (vaccine or clinic). So far as of yesterday afternoon, I've had 2 rattlesnake bites w/ my dogs, and both times I'm sure they had no idea the snake was there and just stepped on them. Dry bites both times thankfully, but do realize the secondary infection from even a dry bite is nasty and requires a vet visit asap for antibiotics and pain meds. Despite that, I still had a dog w/ a 103.3F temp this am. To anyone living in snake country, it's best to read up on treatment NOW and be prepared. Do NOT ice the bite or apply tournicuts. You may use benedryl but in my case, since I was able to get to the vet quickly and there was a chance they'd need to sedate her (they didn't), I didn't want to give her benedryl or anything that could complicate matters for them. The vet thanked me for that. Our local vets don't generally feel the vaccine is helping that much and since it's rare for a rattler to kill a dog, they aren't recommending it here in Yakima.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmmm, I'm on the fence w/ that one (vaccine or clinic). So far as of yesterday afternoon, I've had 2 rattlesnake bites w/ my dogs, and both times I'm sure they had no idea the snake was there and just stepped on them. Dry bites both times thankfully, but do realize the secondary infection from even a dry bite is nasty and requires a vet visit asap for antibiotics and pain meds. Despite that, I still had a dog w/ a 103.3F temp this am. To anyone living in snake country, it's best to read up on treatment NOW and be prepared. Do NOT ice the bite or apply tournicuts. You may use benedryl but in my case, since I was able to get to the vet quickly and there was a chance they'd need to sedate her (they didn't), I didn't want to give her benedryl or anything that could complicate matters for them. The vet thanked me for that. Our local vets don't generally feel the vaccine is helping that much and since it's rare for a rattler to kill a dog, they aren't recommending it here in Yakima.
You need to go to a snake clinic and watch 90% of the dogs stick their nose into the snake to see what it is. They have no natural fear of snakes and most stick their nose in to a coiled up rattling rattler to see what it is. Twice we have had our dogs warn us of a rattle snake by them trying to avoid an area, saved themselves and warned us. The clinics teach sight, smell and sound, I've not seen any dog come out afraid of sticks.

After watching 20 dogs in a row try to smell the snake you may change your mind that your dog didn't know it was there. You're very lucky Washington rattlers don't kill dogs or do the terrible damage they do in Texas. We do both the clinic and the vaccine, I'd never run them here without going to a clinic to put the odds in favor of the dog avoiding the snakes. Taking preventive measures seems to make more sense than trying to treat them afterwards.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks
I think I am going to find a clinic here in idaho or washington. i live near spokane so if you know of one closer than boise let me know .thanks and happy your dogs are ok. Thanks to all the vets this Memorial Day////

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
SamLab1,

~20 years ago I inadvertantly desensitized my first lab on a bullsnake that scared the youknowwhat out of me when it started hissing etc out in my newly planted field. I didn't know it was a good guy at the time! After that day, she was the best snake indicator. She would jump sideways ~8 ft and yelp if she came near one, but wasn't ever the fastest moving dog in the west either. I'm not questioning that the clinics work at all because I'm sure they do. What I am saying that w/ all the bull snakes around my area, I could take one dog at a time and do the desensitization fairly easily right here w/ the good guys and an e-collar based on that first dog's response (there was a good candidate laying right in the middle of the path the other day that I could have used). But I still wonder, will a dog or group of them on a focused run really smell a snake before it steps on them, esp on a windy day?

So I'm saying, know the treatment regardless. The secondary infections warrant concern. Did lots of foot soaking today. TG for good obedience sit/stays since I did 15 min at a time w/ her paw in a container of epsom salts to draw the infection out. The bottom puncture opened up and was draining by late morning and the top area is getting close.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you still have that bull snake? maybe I better head yur way,lots of water snakes around here but never have seen a bull snake.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
do you still have that bull snake? maybe I better head yur way,lots of water snakes around here but never have seen a bull snake.
I am sure they will be out in full force today. Perfect weather and LOTS of rodents this year to feast upon. Just wish they'd eat more of the rattlers.... Actually there is one place that I can usually count on seeing a rattler holed up in a rock den. It keeps to itself for the most part, but haven't seen it yet this year.

I may still have a small rattler in my bird freezer that I killed up in my yard 2 yrs ago. If anything ever were to happen to me, I hope my dog friends will get to the chest freezer first!

About 6-8 yrs ago, I killed a 13 button rattler at the bottom of my property-- with a Daisy pump BBgun, no less. It was ~4' long. I had at least 4, if not 5 dogs w/ me that day coming back from a walk (incl the one desensitized on the bullsnake) and all of them did a sit/stay ~20yds back until I could figure out how I was going to kill it. Eeek. Now I have a .38 but do you think I've even gotten to use it?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe there are something like 35 - 40 different species of rattlesnakes. Arizona alone has 13 different species, some more dangerous than others. We hold a snake avoidance clinic at our facility once a month. Trying to decide between the clinic and the vaccine is not an alternative choice. The vaccine only provides you additional time of approximately 2 hours to find medical attention for your dog. It would be wise to include both. The snake that is used for the clinic here is the Western Diamondback because it is the most generic in odor. Unfortunately, the mojave which is the most dangerous here does not produce an odor. Also, the very young snakes are the most dangerous because they have not yet learned to control their venom when they strike. They give it all whereas the older snakes ration it so to speak thus making the bite, depending on where it is, less of a danger. When a dog is bitten here in our area, the anti-venom is given, usually 2 doses. I have heard of some people opting for only one dose because the treatment is very expensive. The two doses and treatment can run as high as $1,500 - $2,200. Another concern is also, depending on the species of snake, if the dog does survive, some are never the same again. Since the anti-venom is so expensive, many vets do not even carry it and precious time can be lost trying to find one that does. It is also imperative to watch and remember your dog's reaction to the snake in the avoidance session because dogs react differently and when you see how your dog reacts, he/she becomes an early warning signal for you.

Arleen

·
Registered
164 Posts
http://srvgdc.wordpress.com/srvgdc-annual-snake-avoidance-clinic-slated/

There is one in Boise they do every year in August. Personally after talking to people I chose not to do it. I have heard stories from dogs who have gone through avoidance training being spooked by sticks it left such a negative impression on them. :(
Do you know if they are going to be doing a training session/day in 2012 in Boise again?? I didnt see one scheduled for this year on the website.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I have spoken to a couple of vets here in South Texas (and they see quite a few snake bites as this is a MAJOR quail hunting area) and they HIGHLY recommend the vaccination but I would definitely go to an avoidance clinic too if one is available (been looking for one in my area and haven't found one yet).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see there is one listed for walla walla but no contact info yet, so I am going to winthrop. it is being help at the methow valley vet clinic.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you know if they are going to be doing a training session/day in 2012 in Boise again?? I didnt see one scheduled for this year on the website.
You'd have to call. It was a few years ago when I looked at it and I wondered the same thing because they were very behind on posting it to the website....but they did have it and have had it every year since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts