RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not on a dog. On me. I was fishing last night and got bitten. My buddies and I had a fire going and were fishing, I went to put some water on coals that had jumped, and as I did the snake hit me. I was up by the fence, so it was surprising to me. It hit me, I looked down, it was latched on, an I kicked it off. We went to the hospital (this all happened at about 12:30), and they monitored me for 4 hours. They said that it probably didn't envenomate me, so who knows. My foot is now swollen a little though. No bruising (knock on wood), and minimal redness. If it starts to bruise then I have to go back to the hospital immediately.

Watch out for those snakes out there guys. Let this be a lesson that those little boogers will always get you when you least expect it.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Dang, they shoulda snake proofed you.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
water moccasin/cottonmouth, copperhead or rattler ? did you get the chance to dispatch(kill) the snake too...

Hope you are doing better..and people wonder why I wear snake boots or chaps when I dove hunt

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
water moccasin/cottonmouth, copperhead or rattler ? did you get the chance to dispatch(kill) the snake too...

Hope you are doing better..and people wonder why I wear snake boots or chaps when I dove hunt
Most likely a water moccasin. It only got one fang into me from what we can tell. It's still making me a little nervous. Needless to say, I will be wearing boots wherever there may or may not be snakes.

I didn't get a chance to kill the snake. There are a few water moccasins floating around our property, so it's got me worried. We'll be killing a lot of snakes now.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thats like waiting to put a signal in a dangerous intersection until after a fatality! Only good bad snake is a dead one! Have a snake hunting party at your place I bet your buddies will gladly come out to help.

PS I'd still be in the hospital -theyd be treating me for heart attack...:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They almost had to treat me for one! Everyone thought I was cold because I was shaking. It's pretty scary when you get bit by a snake. I'm terrified of them too!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've been bitten twice. Once by a venomous and once by a non-venomous.

The first time was on day 2 of a 4 day backpacking trip in a remote wilderness area in Tennessee. Can I tell you the feeling of dread when you look down and see a copperhead latched onto your ankle and you're 30 miles from trailhead? Luckily, he did not envenomate. All I had was some bruising.

The second was on a mild spring/late winter day here in South La. while training. I was walking around a pond doing stand-alones and felt something hit my high ankle. I looked down and levitated about 3 feet. Luckily, I saw it was a water snake, but it sure got my heart racing.

Darn snakes have been out in force down here lately! We had to train around a moccasin chasing fish in the shallows this morning.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This little guy was outside of my 1st grade classroom a couple of months ago. We got him into the trash can and cut off his head. He had a single button. Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent Python

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeesh. I'm glad we don't have many rattlers around where I live. Just these stupid water moccasins. At least it wasnt a copperhead, and it didn't envenomate! I would've been scared outta my mind finding that outside a 1st grade classroom.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Howdy Matt! Glad you're ok. I assume that they gave you a tetanus and maybe some antibiotics to prevent infection. When you start on your mission to remove the threat, please don't forget that not all snakes in the water are water moccasins and that other than the venomous species, snakes tend to be beneficial members of your local fauna. Many do a journeyman's job holding down the rodent population and if you are lucky enough to have species like the Blue Indigo, they actually kill and eat venomous snakes like rattlers. As far as being more concerned about being bitten by a copperhead than by a water moccasin, I'm pretty sure that you have your fears backward. If you look up the statistics on the severity of the bites, I'm pretty sure that you will find that the cotton mouth is, on average a much worse bite. Fortunately have never been bitten by anything venomous (and hope never to be), but know a number of folks who have been bitten by rattlers and it is absolutely no picnic. Have been bitten by various non-venomous snakes and can't say that I find that particularly enjoyable either. Always happens so fast that it just scares the *&&^%$!!! out of me!!!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This little guy was outside of my 1st grade classroom a couple of months ago. We got him into the trashcan and cut off his head. He had a single button. View attachment 7447
He looks prettybig to me! Just gives me the willies..... where is Lemoore?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
He looks prettybig to me! Just gives me the willies..... where is Lemoore?
Lemoore is 35 miles south of Fresno. The pic is taken in Avenal...30 miles west of Lemoore. Right in the middle of nowhere, but right in the middle of everything.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Gulp.......... be careful. But at least you have something to threaten out of hand 1st graders with...:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
This little guy was outside of my 1st grade classroom a couple of months ago. We got him into the trash can and cut off his head. He had a single button. View attachment 7447
Dang, I didn't know there were snakes in Lemoore! Bad enough out at Mendota and Los Banos.
Glad you're ok Matt, scary stuff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
out catfishing monday night with father in law and brother in law. a copper headed rattle moccassin decided to occuppy the same space as the boat we were in. three grown men would have made a chef at the japanese steak house proud with the chopping action of the poles hitting the water. luckily the head lamp caught him coming about 5 yards out from the boat. now it was dark but i swear that thing was the size of an anaconda, we are lucky we survived.:D hate snakes.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
How is our OP today? I hope you didnt continue to swell or bruise... Keep us posted, and best wishes for no complications .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is our OP today? I hope you didnt continue to swell or bruise... Keep us posted, and best wishes for no complications .
Thank you. It's getting there. It was bruised and swollen last night, but the bruising is mainly gone today. They said the pain would be gone in 24 hours, and it was. I just have to keep some ice on it to minimize swelling.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yuck... glad youre ok . If there was going to be a big problem, wouldnt it surface by now? Remembering when Sable was bit by a rattler last year , the problems, dying sloughed skin, etc... it was terrible, something I cant even imagine going through myself. All that, kept a typical spirit too.. unbelievable...
take care--------

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Yeesh. I'm glad we don't have many rattlers around where I live. Just these stupid water moccasins. At least it wasnt a copperhead, and it didn't envenomate! I would've been scared outta my mind finding that outside a 1st grade classroom.
Where do you live? Somwhere south I imagine. We are lucky here in NW Montana, no poisoness snakes, but there are plenty of rattlers east of the mountains.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts