RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already searched and found little on snakes. i was looking to get all your opinion on training with snakes possibly in the area. This will be the first time i will be able to go to a very large fenced in area and i wanted your thoughts on allowing him to roam on a 30' ft lead of course. I also have no idea about snake avoidance... Is this just a risk i have to take? Should i not allow him to roam and play without me holding the other end of the lead? I just want to give tucker a chance to be a dog, im just afraid of possible threats i,.e snakes and what not

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The latest word is the rattlesnakes have just recently come out of their dens and are aggressive.

Just be careful. I train 5/6 days a week. Generally, they aren't out in the pastures but are under trees, logs and misc junk.

I wouldn't just let your dog run around and explore right now.

I have never had a dog snakebit but it could happen. Generally, there is one club that puts on a snake clinic each year. It is often advertised on the events page on this forum. Go to it if you can. It will help prevent a dog from getting snakebit.

I am watching for it also as I need to take one dog.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Get your dog the rattlesnake vaccine, and keep up with the boosters. And I would have my dog go through a de-snaking clinic.

Not sure what part of North Texas you are in, but I'm usually east or northeast of Dallas. I'm much more concerned about cottonmouths, so I will usually get out at the lake and walk the parts of the shoreline that I know the dogs will be around before I let them out.

Snakes are my number one nightmare that I worry about. Holes are a close second.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get your dog the rattlesnake vaccine, and keep up with the boosters. And I would have my dog go through a de-snaking clinic.

Not sure what part of North Texas you are in, but I'm usually east or northeast of Dallas. I'm much more concerned about cottonmouths, so I will usually get out at the lake and walk the parts of the shoreline that I know the dogs will be around before I let them out.

Snakes are my number one nightmare that I worry about. Holes are a close second.
Do you know of any of those snake avoidance courses. Im will be 30 miles north of Fort worth in Springtown. if you ever want to join let me know

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Do you know of any of those snake avoidance courses. Im will be 30 miles north of Fort worth in Springtown. if you ever want to join let me know
Snake proof and it is not pretty. Ecollar is a must, but will save your dog.....And that is important to alot of us.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Our Florida house is in a coastal wetlands community between Panama City and Destin. I've never seen so many snakes. Saw a couple of good size Diamondbacks and Cottonmouths but the ones that really concern me are the Pygmy Rattlers. They are about 12" long, aggressive, very toxic and hard to see in thick brush.If anyone knows of a snake avoidance class in NW Florida please let me know.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I have been told that there are no water mocs west of the Trinity River (Ft. Worth).

·
Registered
376 Posts
I live in Coppell. The city has already put out warnings about snakes. I already had my dog vaccinated.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I live in South Texas. Lots of rattlers. Saw one bigger around than my forearm just a few days ago. Have gotten my dog the first shot, due for the second in about two weeks. Ran into a vet that sees a lot of dogs from the local hunting camps (of which there are numerous and quail are the target of choice, so LOTS of dogs) and he said that the vaccine is very effective and at about $25.00 per shot, very cost effective too. Says that he has given thousands of doses and seen many dogs that have been bitten and that the results have been very good.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where we train, there are a lot of water mocs and cotton mouths. According to all research I've seen, bites from these are not normally fatal if you get the dog to the vet quickly. However, they can be a very painful ordeal that puts your dog out for quite some time.

I had a friend who's lab was bitten by a cotton mouth on the face. He gave the dog a pretty good dose of Benadryl on the way to the vet, and it apparently helped a bit. So, I would definitely keep some Benadryl in your first aid kit.

All that said, snake-proofing at a clinic sounds like a really great option. You just can't always control when a dog is going to accidentally step on one.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
It is my understanding that the snake proofing is only good for the type of snake used, normally a rattlesnake. Therefore dog would not avoid a copperhead.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wayne, I believe you are wrong there. Dogs that I de-snaked usually stayed away from all kinds of snakes.

One lady was doing agility with dog, a green grass snake was on one of the obstacles and literally stopped in his tracks. Once the snake was removed he was fine again. I have country folks say that their dogs had stopped at the door for a chicken snake on the back porch .

I am not gonna say it works all the time, but, it sure don't hrt....Pat

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The venom of copperheads and cottonmouths are not as lethal as that of the rattlesnake. Its the rattlesnake bite that is the killer.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Where we train, there are a lot of water mocs and cotton mouths. .
Most water snakes are harmless the singular exception being the Cottonmouth Water Mocassin, it is unlikely that a dog would be bitten while swimming, more likely near the water or in a few inches of water.

There is likely cross protection from the Rattlesnake vaccine for Copperheads but not for Cottonmouth Water Mocassin.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I live in Sacramento CA and have lost a good dog to rattlesnake bite. Find a good snake avoidance class in your area and attend. Also agree with having your dog have the venom shots if you think you are at risk. My dog lived after the first bite and didn't make it after she got bite in my back yard the second time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone! i will be contacting my vet for that vaccine and will be getting him in snake avoidance class.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I may be wrong and probablly am, but I think the vaccine is for rattlers, but may help some with other snakes if at all.
Cottonmouth and water mocassin are the same snake, just 2 different names.
Like Ed said, most snakes you see are water snakes.
Water moccasins aka cotton mouth float with their body on top of the water surface.
Water snakes do not

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Pat, You did all three of my dogs but my personal experience with other types of snakes, after avoidance on a rattler, is different than yours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts