RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have one. Whats involved? How much did you spend getting one designed? Is there cost involved keeping it displayed on the web?

Chris (headmaster) Whats involved in becoming a sponsor of RTF??

Thinking about things today..

Gooser

P.S. My website wouldnt be about womens Undies,, but rather woodwork.. Just in case anyone had ideas of getttin pics from me :):)

·
Registered
691 Posts
To put up a website, you need these main components:

Domain Name. This can be bought from GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions. The longer you "rent" it, the cheaper it is. I think you could get one from GoDaddy for $10/year?

Site Host. This is the server where you site will reside, that people will go to when they type in your domain name. This can be anywhere from $10/per month on up, depending on how much bandwidth and reliability you want from your Host provider

Website program. this is the program that you load onto your space that your renting on the host server. There are a bunch of free programs, as well as a few (dreamweaver, front page, etc.) that you can buy.

That's what you need to get a site up and running. Now, once you do, optimizing it for SEO (search engine optimization) is a whole 'nother can of worms. As to what makes a it a good website? Content, ease of navigation, visually pleasing, and visible to the search engines, so that people searching for your stuff can find you.

Cheers,

·
Registered
661 Posts
I "rented" my domain name and do my hosting on GoDaddy. I use WYSIWYG, it's fairly cheap and easy. Sometimes you'll run into a couple of "quirks" with formatting, but I've worked around most of them. I check by opening the "published" page in my browser before I upload. Sometimes it's not actually "what you see is what you get" and you'll have to do some "strange" arranging in the program if you have multiple textboxes/pictues on the same page. I think the one I had my biggest problem on I had it layered with spacing between paragraphs instead of multiple boxes and when overlaying it, they pictures weren't exactly where I had them. Overall, it's been an easy program to work with and maintain.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Gooser,

Are you looking to do one yourself or have it done?

Sue Puff

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I used Wix.com to design my own it was free, the hosting is free but you can build It, publish it, and if you want a different host, you can pay a minimal fee to have it released. It's extremely easy to use. They have hundreds of sample pages and styles to choose from. I chose one then did everything completely different.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gooser,

Are you looking to do one yourself or have it done?

Sue Puff

Not really sure.. If Its not to difficult to do yourself,, and the results are worth the effort,, I would consider trying to do it myself.

On the other hand, the reason I asked here was I figgered that folks here have past experiences, and know the better less travled route to take
that doesnt have as many traffic jams and road blocks...

Sue Puff,, do you design them for people?? if so,,, P.M. me if you like.

Gooser

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Gooser,

Go with Homestead.com. Easy to use and affordable!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Gooser,

You mentioned you wanted to do a site for your woodworking stuff. What will the site be for? Will it be to showcase your stuff for people to see? Are you looking to attract people to your site in hopes of selling stuff or advertising your skills?

Clarifying what you expect the site to do for you helps clarify what you need.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The easiest and cheapest (can't get cheaper than free) is to sign up at Google and create your own Google site. It's free, they have hundreds of site templates and many gadgets for embedding into pages to display this and that or to link into PayPal, etc, etc.

As far as a domain name for your site, you'll have to buy that from a place like GoDaddy or somewhere else, and it's pretty cheap for 3-5 years. Then you can "hook" your domain name to your Google site. Here's our cheapo www.mihrc.com site at Google with the domain name supplied and managed at GoDaddy.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron

Intrested in showcasing my work,, but more specifically to showcase a product that has recieved intrest through word of mouth..

I am impressed with all of your guys websits..
They are inspirational to say the least. Looks like a LOT of work though.

Gooser

Gooser,

You mentioned you wanted to do a site for your woodworking stuff. What will the site be for? Will it be to showcase your stuff for people to see? Are you looking to attract people to your site in hopes of selling stuff or advertising your skills?

Clarifying what you expect the site to do for you helps clarify what you need.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do the site for our HRC club. www.highflyershrc.org The domain name registration is free from the hosting provider. Hosting cost is about $6 month and I use Joomla to build the site which is easy, has loads of cool things to do and is also free. Hosting provider is IxWebhosting. I love them. I like being able to call in for support and speak to someone who can speak english! They are there 24/7 and have always gone above and beyond to help. I believe they also offer secure online services. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Looks like a LOT of work though.
Gooser, there is quite a bit of work initially. Most of that I recall was just getting up to speed. The learning curve takes time to traverse. Once you develop and publish that first page, the process becomes much simpler.

From my experience, I think in the long run it is better to have complete control over the process. That way you can "update and tweak" at any time.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just use facebook? It is free you can put anything as far as a name add all the photo's you want
and free...
I had a Facebook page.
Had many compliments of my work.
they didn't understand I did the work as a side business,but rather just a hobby

The thing is with Facebook is the search.
I believe people search a name, not a product or service.
Isnt that correct?

I thought a dedicated website where folks could find you by their search of let's say "custom woodwork"or
" display cabinets"

Gooser

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One other thing.

How do you guys handel the graphics for a company Logo??

I assume I could just use a quality picture,, and add verbage of Company name in foreground??

Gooser again

I was thinkin supin like my Avatar,, only with a bloody stump of an arm layin on the floor next to a table saw!:):)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I was thinkin supin' like my Avatar,, only with a bloody stump of an arm layin' on the floor next to a table saw!
So what you are saying is your potential clients would take you seriously?

"Yer" not watching enough TV. As in the Direct TV commercials "Don't end up being a clown. Create a high class opening page."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gooser,

I have done quite a few websites and helped others set up their own site and I have found WEEBLY to be very simple, but effective. They will let you sign up for free and set up your site and it runs less than $10/month. No pragramming at all needed and it is very simple to update.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gooser,

I have done quite a few websites and helped others set up their own site and I have found WEEBLY to be very simple, but effective. They will let you sign up for free and set up your site and it runs less than $10/month. No pragramming at all needed and it is very simple to update.

I second Weebly. I've created several websites using Weebly. Tried another, can't recall the name, and almost pulled my hair out trying to make it work. Weebly is very simple to use and it shouldn't take you long. You can try the free version and upgrade to Pro for more features if you like it. You may find you don't need the additional features of Weebly Pro.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts