RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is leaving soon for army reserve training and where he is going they will not have electricty to charge his cell phone so i thought a solor panel would work but i don't know how many watts he needs

·
Registered
877 Posts
Though I saw them at Radio shack last time I was there, Please thank your son for us for his service.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Think of it sorta like horsepower. I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they bought too much :p

I'd work my way over to Amazon and read up on some of the reviews.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you just want to charge a cell phone only pull the battery and look at it. Volts x Amps will give you wattage or a VA rating. Some batteries have a VA or wattage rating on them. For example my smartphone is an HTC Sensation. It uses3.7 VDC(volts DC) at 1520 mAH(milliamp hour) (1.520 Amp/Hour) when calculated needs 5.62 watts. Most field chargers will use a Micro USB output of 5 volts on them. In my case I would need a panel over 5.62 watts to charge my battery. I usally dont like to go over double the output mA of the battery from the voltage supply source. This will charge the battery steady and consistent and not burn it up to fast. If you use to high of output then you get a fast "hot charge" which charges really fast but will shorten battery life. Much like using a car charger on your cell phone. Finding a 10 Watt panel should be more than adequate for most cell phones and small enough for your son to take with him in a pack. Here is a link to a prroduct that I have and use for backpacking. Works great.
http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/56/Nomad-7---Rock-Out-Combo-Kit/1:1/ this is a 7 watt panel. They make Larger ones as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no he is in the resrves and is going to camp hunter liget in cali. for 3 wks. his drill sgts are telling him to get ready to deploy but don't know where. i'm thinking syria. i hope not but it seems to be thier turn. he is a mp so they could deply them and call it a police action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts