RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen, or do you have a dog that just can NOT run tests 2 days in a row?
On day 1, they run with determination and concentration, but on day 2 the just come unglued.

Maybe even flirts with coming unglued at a FT??

How do you address that issue?
Just run 1 test a weekend?

But for you FT's, what do you do?
Is day 2 exciting??
How do you address that?

Thanks,

stan b

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Have you seen, or do you have a dog that just can NOT run tests 2 days in a row?
On day 1, they run with determination and concentration, but on day 2 the just come unglued.

Maybe even flirts with coming unglued at a FT??

But for you FT's, what do you do?
Is day 2 exciting??
How do you address that?

Thanks,

stan b
20-30 minutes of obedience and drill work before going to the trial grounds. get them in the working frame of mind, and the mindset that you are still the handler and in charge.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes, and sometimes there's no telling what day he will be in game mode. I like Susan's idea. I try to do that too, but sometime I don't have as much time as I'd like and then there's the no training on grounds rule.

·
Registered
950 Posts

Thanks,

stan b
I have a dog like that. He passed both days but with each and every mark he got closer and closer to breaking. On the last marks on the last day he creeped out about 6 feet in front of me. That was last Fall and we have worked on it. But to be safe, I am only going to run him in one test instead of two at his next test in a couple of weeks. I'm in no hurry for a title.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Stan, you just ran an upland test. The dog thinks it has more control/freedom over what's going on when they are working out in front of you than when they are at heal either on a walk up or on the bucket. They have a tendency to become self employed. Add to that the normal distractions of the test -smells, noise, excitement, young dog, hard charger,etc.

We always run both days. If I'm going that far and paying for rooms, gas meals, etc., I'm going to run as much as I can. I do try to avoid running on consecutive weekends. I do think they get used to not getting corrections.

I agree with off site OB drills prior to running. For what it's worth, I wear black gloves. Maybe looks like a transmitter.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just wonder what the routines are for those who do Nationals for seven or more days? That has to be the hardest to overcome!!

I did a simple double in a day and thought, never again! :) (we passed but it was crazy)

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stan, you just ran an upland test. The dog thinks it has more control/freedom over what's going on when they are working out in front of you than when they are at heal either on a walk up or on the bucket. They have a tendency to become self employed. Add to that the normal distractions of the test -smells, noise, excitement, young dog, hard charger,etc.

We always run both days. If I'm going that far and paying for rooms, gas meals, etc., I'm going to run as much as I can. I do try to avoid running on consecutive weekends. I do think they get used to not getting corrections.

I agree with off site OB drills prior to running. For what it's worth, I wear black gloves. Maybe looks like a transmitter.:rolleyes:
I am basically getting advice from some pretty savy dog people.
When I ask these questions 8 of 10 answers are usually very useful.

The off site obedience from Justice Labs is great.
I have thought of it, but have not followed thru.

You read the story, that was quite the train wreck.:rolleyes:
But the point is, he can't quite hold it together for 2 tests in a row.

It does lend credence to the Rex Carr saying (often quoted by Evan) "distance erodes control!":shock:

But I try to ask relevant questions and I usually get relevant answers.

Thanks!

stan b

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have a dog like that. He passed both days but with each and every mark he got closer and closer to breaking. On the last marks on the last day he creeped out about 6 feet in front of me. That was last Fall and we have worked on it. But to be safe, I am only going to run him in one test instead of two at his next test in a couple of weeks. I'm in no hurry for a title.
Chicken! lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just wonder what the routines are for those who do Nationals for seven or more days? That has to be the hardest to overcome!!

I did a simple double in a day and thought, never again! :) (we passed but it was crazy)
Byron,
I remember that day! We all almost passed out including the dogs. A lot of walking back and forth on the test grounds. It was fun though... You ready to start running senior tests with Mollie coming up this spring?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You ready to start running senior tests with Mollie coming up this spring?

There are days my friend where I can say "yes", then there are days I question those thoughts! :)

She and I both need more exposure, so there are days were I think we could pass a Master, then there are days I ponder how we made this far!!

Until she mellows out (if that is possible) I know I would only run one test per weekend, with at least a three week window between runs until she gets more experience. If we had problems, the window in the middle might grow to six months! I don't want to waste money or create a monster!! Then again if I am too careful, we would never run at all!! Getting my nerve up for bigger and better things, with that I need more confidence we are ready..

I just wish I knew how to blow a duck call.... Guess I'll figure that out one day, maybe.... :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One of the advantages of HRC you can get a pass on each day. Unlike AKC where some like the Master are over a two day period.

Some dogs (field trials) can't be "double staked" for the weekend example run the Open on Friday, then the Amateur on Sat and have the Open run until Sunday. By Sunday some dogs are just plain nuts! From a personal perspective in Ft's we have been a National Open Finalist, but, couldn't even come close to a double header. (win the Open win the Amateur on the same weekend) The dog couldn't hold it together on a double stake at a weekend trial. In the Nationals, Open and Amat, there is a certain amont of time between each time your dog's number comes up to run. How you take advantage of that time is up to you.
Some dogs as Susan reported can be helped by doing drills before running them or run a few blinds off grounds. No training on the grounds. That sometimes puts an amateur at a advantage over a pro that has many dogs and doesn't have time for a tune-up before running the dog.

In HRC I think you answered your own question don't double stake the dog, run only one, Sat or Sunday. Been there done that and ended up scratching on the second day losing my entry fee, BUT, not digging myself a hole. I have done that at Field Trials also. Expensive ,does it work ?I don't know but it made be feel good not to let the dogs have the birds. They do get a shocked look on thier face after you call for the birds, then tell the judges you are picking the dog up.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
One of the advantages of HRC you can get a pass on each day. Unlike AKC where some like the Master are over a two day period.

Some dogs (field trials) can't be "double staked" for the weekend example run the Open on Friday, then the Amateur on Sat and have the Open run until Sunday. By Sunday some dogs are just plain nuts! From a personal perspective in Ft's we have been a National Open Finalist, but, couldn't even come close to a double header. (win the Open win the Amateur on the same weekend) The dog couldn't hold it together on a double stake at a weekend trial. In the Nationals, Open and Amat, there is a certain amont of time between each time your dog's number comes up to run. How you take advantage of that time is up to you.
Some dogs as Susan reported can be helped by doing drills before running them or run a few blinds off grounds. No training on the grounds. That sometimes puts an amateur at a advantage over a pro that has many dogs and doesn't have time for a tune-up before running the dog.

In HRC I think you answered your own question don't double stake the dog, run only one, Sat or Sunday. Been there done that and ended up scratching on the second day losing my entry fee, BUT, not digging myself a hole. I have done that at Field Trials also. Expensive ,does it work ?I don't know but it made be feel good not to let the dogs have the birds. They do get a shocked look on thier face after you call for the birds, then tell the judges you are picking the dog up.
Hi Earl, ..you do not let the dogs have the birds because they are becoming too high, unruly etc on line while the birds are going down?..

If working well, still, you stay?

Judy

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If you took some of the junk to the line that I do you'd be chicken too!!
lol Last time I saw him he looked good. I didn't think I was going to run Kinston but one of my owners already entered so I'll enter the other one and I'll see you there. I love back to back weekends! Will you go get my wheels when they fall off?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi Earl, ..you do not let the dogs have the birds because they are becoming too high, unruly etc on line while the birds are going down?..

If working well, still, you stay?

Judy
Yes, if I know the judges I will let them know what I am going to do. Otherwise I play it by ear. I have put a leash on the dog, thanked the judges and walked off he line. I have basicaly treated it as a break although I had one big guy that was vocal and was at wits end doing the same thing. I don't know if I recomend it or not as it is my entry fee and I don't want to spend someone elses hard earned money. Mostly after a period of time of not running the dog etc, and it would be the first trial back to see if it works. It is only a bandaid after everything else has been tried. I know many will say don't let it happen in the first place do all the "correct things" don't give the bird in training, creeping training etc, etc.
Unfortunately most of these high dogs are truely magnificent animals and as one prominent Pro trainer told me, Earl, I would sell the dog for a "lot of money" and move on. My FC/AFC Mioak's Criquet Pas was that kind of animal,but, I kept her until her retirement at about a few months under ten years old ,I was offered a lot of money for her. The others I sold.
I think sometimes it is in the genes too. Two of her sons were the same way. I owned and trained both of them, one became a FC/AFC and the other had to be retired at about 6 years old from FT's but of all things he became a good MH/HRCH,dog go figure! Maybe because he couldn't find the white coats?!

I have since savored the steady Eddie types, hope to have one some day. Got to get rid of this curse.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Dennis has a good pre-trial routine in his training alone video. Worth a watch.

I have one that it is an absolute must that we get out early and do some work before a trial. Otherwise he will be too amped up to concentrate. Double staking him helps. If we are running a Q and an Am the same day, he will almost always do better in whichever one we run second and will always do better in later series (if we get there :) )

·
Registered
612 Posts

Great question. Any tips for keeping a dog screwed down at the National/Grand?

·
Registered
275 Posts

This is what I was gonna suggest. Been there and done it...day 2 of HRC Finished test, after all the birds are on the ground, if he/she has moved a toe or made any sound, put a rope on em and walk off the line. Nobody likes to "donate" that entry fee but could be the cheapest lesson of all. Might infact "save" you some entry fees in the future if your dog starts breaking!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts