RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she accidentally got tied up twice by my male dog. Its her first heat. She's not even one I feel so awful but that was December 19th and a few days prior to that when they tied. I'm saving my money for an emergency vet care so please no judgment this was an accident! By my calculations she should be due any day? When should I be concerned? She hasn't really nested much her temp dropped steadily all day yesterday and it's went back up and now down again? I just need some guidance on when to be worried and ways I could help her deliver? I've read up a lot on whelping and all the process but im so nervous im a first time dog owner and a very first time pregnant dog owner haha. Her temp is between 100.4 too 99.7 she steadily dropped from normal to below 98.2 for a long time 2 days ago and went back up again today to 100.1 and now its back to the 98.2 again? Should I be concerned? How much longer bc I haven't slept much this week! Thanks so much 馃檹

Registered
she accidentally got tied up twice by my male dog. Its her first heat. She's not even one I feel so awful but that was December 19th and a few days prior to that when they tied. I'm saving my money for an emergency vet care so please no judgment this was an accident! By my calculations she should be due any day? When should I be concerned? She hasn't really nested much her temp dropped steadily all day yesterday and it's went back up and now down again? I just need some guidance on when to be worried and ways I could help her deliver? I've read up a lot on whelping and all the process but im so nervous im a first time dog owner and a very first time pregnant dog owner haha. Her temp is between 100.4 too 99.7 she steadily dropped from normal to below 98.2 for a long time 2 days ago and went back up again today to 100.1 and now its back to the 98.2 again? Should I be concerned? How much longer bc I haven't slept much this week! Thanks so much 馃檹
If they tied "a few days prior to Dec 19th" {which isn't a very exact time line} it should happen real soon.
Good Luck

Registered
You should be consulting with your veterinarian for advice on due date, preparation, when/if to be worried.

Meredith

Registered
If she hasn鈥檛 gone by now I would go to the vet and get an X-ray. 98 usually means go time within 12 hours. Sometimes a dead pup may slow things down that much

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are in the middle of a blizzard here in Oklahoma everything is shut down we can't even get out of our driveway! Shes not acting like she's in pain and pups are all still moving as well and she looked like she wasn't pregnant this morning like they are close to her vagina now so maybe it'll be today her temp this morning was 99.1? I'm just so confused and I was saving the vet stash for an emergency c section and any other medical expenses if someone would of told me the amount it cost to do pregnancy I would of spayed her way sooner but after this im taking her to get spayed! Thabk yall im going to call her vet to see what they think I should do! Ill post updates tonight!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the tie happened on December 19 and dec21st but I saw them "trying" and caught them a week before that but I'm almost positive they didn't tie i woke up to my kids screaming on the 19th that the dogs butts are stuck so I'm just assuming thats when it happened?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she hasn鈥檛 gone by now I would go to the vet and get an X-ray. 98 usually means go time within 12 hours. Sometimes a dead pup may slow things down that much
Would she show any other signs of a dead pup? Like she has no discharge or odor in her vagina. And its been in the negative Temps for a week snowing here could that affect her temp?

Registered
We are in the middle of a blizzard here in Oklahoma everything is shut down we can't even get out of our driveway! Shes not acting like she's in pain and pups are all still moving
If you can鈥檛 get out guess you have to wing it. If the pups are moving they are getting lined up. Only way you can know there is a dead one is an ultrasound and lack of a heart beat. It can slow things up. I would put her by herself, no kids or other dogs around, and keep an eye on her. Too much hovering can delay things. Phone the vet. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can鈥檛 get out guess you have to wing it. If the pups are moving they are getting lined up. Only way you can know there is a dead one is an ultrasound and lack of a heart beat. It can slow things up. I would put her by herself, no kids or other dogs around, and keep an eye on her. Too much hovering can delay things. Phone the vet. Good luck.
Okay im going to do that now I have noticed when the kids come in my room or daddy dog she goes to her whelping box and sits like stay outta here im trying to be alone so I will keep her in here by me alone. I've been reading about what to look for in distress like bloody discharge with odor or green stuff before a pup so hopefully we can make it work at home of not I have money put back for a c section! Thank you for responding I've been panicking

Registered
Okay im going to do that now I have noticed when the kids come in my room or daddy dog she goes to her whelping box and sits like stay outta here im trying to be alone so I will keep her in here by me alone. I've been reading about what to look for in distress like bloody discharge with odor or green stuff before a pup so hopefully we can make it work at home of not I have money put back for a c section! Thank you for responding I've been panicking
OK, even darken the room and let her concentrate on letting it happen. She must feel secure. Put a radio on. Just peak in and check on her. Your Panicking may not be allowing her to relax.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, even darken the room and let her concentrate on letting it happen. She must feel secure. Put a radio on. Just peak in and check on her. Your Panicking may not be allowing her to relax.
Shes very very attached to me I've been her person since she was 6 weeks old and every time I leave she gets nervous so I don't wanna leave the room bc then when I peak in she's waiting for me to open the door haha im keeping myself calm bc I know she needs me to be also is it common for her to want the "dad" in the room? She stays in her whelping box when he's around? Could that be because she wants him in here or maybe that he is making her feel the need to protect her box? I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to help her as much as I can without intervention

Registered
Shes very very attached to me I've been her person since she was 6 weeks old and every time I leave she gets nervous so I don't wanna leave the room bc then when I peak in she's waiting for me to open the door haha im keeping myself calm bc I know she needs me to be also is it common for her to want the "dad" in the room? She stays in her whelping box when he's around? Could that be because she wants him in here or maybe that he is making her feel the need to protect her box? I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to help her as much as I can without intervention
I would keep all dogs and kids out. I usually do something without hovering. Read a book, look at a cell phone and let her feel secure in her whelping box and forget what else is going on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would keep all dogs and kids out. I usually do something without hovering. Read a book, look at a cell phone and let her feel secure in her whelping box and forget what else is going on.
Thats exactly what I'm going to do! Thank you Nancy so much! Made me feel a little ease! Hopefully we have pups tonight or tomorrow!

Registered
I haven't posted for a while, but I couldn't help but be interested in the outcome of your situation. My heart went out to you being a first time dog owner with a bitch due to deliver during a freak Oklahoma winter storm.

Any news you can share? I hope everything turned out well for all involved!

Swack

Registered
I was also wondering how this played out. Once temp stays down to the 98 range for 12 hours, then whelping is usually 12-24 hours from that. It's not unusual for temp to go up and down in the last few days.

If you are still snowed in and you have no one to advise you, a telephone with someone experienced is better than nothing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't posted for a while, but I couldn't help but be interested in the outcome of your situation. My heart went out to you being a first time dog owner with a bitch due to deliver during a freak Oklahoma winter storm.

Any news you can share? I hope everything turned out well for all involved!

Swack
Thank you so much! Shes still pregnant haha. I joined a group on Facebook to help guide me and I've figured out her day 63 is today! The weather is finally above freezing!!! 34 degrees but better than negative 11 so the snow melting a bit if im able to get out of the side roads from my home the main roads are clear so I'm grateful for that 馃檹 she is nesting more and I've read so so many things trying to prepare I have a whelping kit and she's not left my side so its just a waiting game now! I will post updates on here as well! Thanks 馃槉
I was also wondering how this played out. Once temp stays down to the 98 range for 12 hours, then whelping is usually 12-24 hours from that. It's not unusual for temp to go up and down in the last few days.

If you are still snowed in and you have no one to advise you, a telephone with someone experienced is better than nothing.
Its active labor as we speak. Started 11 am today water sac appeared and broke at 345 it is now 421 shes sleeping waiting on babies also I have acquired a mentor!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its go time everyone labor began 11am water sac at 345 and now resting! I found a great mentor on a group on Facebook and feel well prepared for delivery will post as soon as we have puppies!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts