188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooner Retriever Club

Any news is always appreciated....... :lol:

Goose

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only result I know is that Verdell's (White Knight) dog, Tex, won the derby - That makes 3 wins in a row. 18 pts in 7 trials.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Gerard Rozas said:
The only result I know is that Verdell's (White Knight) dog, Tex, won the derby - That makes 3 wins in a row. 18 pts in 7 trials.
Is it a great dog, or a greatly trained dog?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Ken Guthrie said:
Gerard Rozas said:
Yes. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The Open was a triple with the long retired and the short retired about the same line. A shot flier was on the right. Dogs had to go across a corner of a pond to get the long pheasant. Varying winds made the test very hard to nearly impossible.

The mean judges Dr Ed and his Igor Greg Braddford had one of the birds another two hundred yards up the hill I'm told but moved it closer in when the test dog wound up in the Derby some half mile away. :shock:

I ran my two entrants and decided I would put all my efforts into the Amateur tomorrow. I don't want no more of that stinkin Open!

Due to my sudden lack of interest ( I was the last dog to run), I didn't wait for the callbacks. I think around 35% of the field did the test with three birds, a lot of them with big hunts. (No pencil whipping here, that's for sure!)

Lightning suspended the test for a while, giving the judges more time to dream up more ways for them to cream the remaining field tomorrow.

But not me! No sir, I'm done with the Open.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
But not me! No sir, I'm done with the Open.
Sorry Tim, I hate it when that happens. :(

But...

...I'm used to it. :cry:

·
Registered
947 Posts
fowl hunter said:
what about rest of derby results?
1st Tex w/Patsy Martin
2nd Rattler w/Roy Mackey
*3rd Reload I'll Gitum "Boo" w/Frank Price (15 points)
*4th Wing Magic's Standpipe Moon (Piper aka NutCase) w/Frank Price (22 points)

I think RJ and 2 Jams were taken by Mark Edwards.

*Littermates that age out July 1st, but Sooner was probably their last derby.

Congrats to Roy, Patsy, and Mark, and thanks to the judges for some really good marking tests.

Gotta go.

Frank

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ken Guthrie said:
It is trained by a woman from Alaska. Talk about a minority! How good could she be? Three wins in a row. That's how good she is. To Verdell, hands on training should mean "hands on the check book" and off the dog.
Patsy watched my dog blow past a 350 yd mark and keep on truckin one day. (At about 650+ yds he might have been lost but he was makin' damned good time.) Patsy blessed him with the Indian name of "NoBirdTooFar".
She has to be exceptional just to put up with Verdell! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check writin' regards,
Arturo

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I know Patsy runs him now but thought that Verdell told me the Hillmans trained Tex.
congrats Mr Price o your littermates doing so well.Too bad there arent more trial for them to run because they seem to be hot right now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congratulations Patsy and Frank!!!!!!!!!

Patsy has had him for some time. Mary did have him for awhile.

Great dog with great training, quite a combo.....he's a handsome fella too.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Open Call backs - 15 dogs going to the water marks in the morning

3, 14, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 29, 39, 40, 41 :D :D , 54, 60, 65, 66

Andy

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Amateur was an indented triple with two retired, run in a bowl with steep banks on all sides. Short indent shot first, middle retired shot second on the left, bird thrown from top into bottom of bowl. Flier last, shot out of a winger on top at about 275 yards. Line to the go bird flier was near the short indented retired.

Good and bad work, I think all dogs that got the chickens were called back. 35 to the land blind.

Land blind was a 475 yarder, run from the east side of the same bowl. Line was on top of the bowl on flat land, down a steep bank where a guy in a chair sat. To the right about 100 yards was a short blind. After picking up the short blind you had to thread the dog past the right blind and the kid in the chair and then another 100 yards through a gun stand and the side of a hill that stuck out into the field. Instructions in the blind said you go left of the stake and you are out. Many dogs didnt want to go right of the stake and failed the blind, including several with perfect marks. After the dog got through the blind stake alleyway, they had another 250 yards to the blind, with a wind pushing them left. Several had bad back ends, with dogs not wanting to cast into the wind. Judges suspended the blind with five dogs left to run in the morning at 9:00.

My guess is that 15 to 20 dogs will be called back to the water blind.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
4th series a quad with 3 retired.

Open results

1st - # 3
2nd- # 23
3rd - # 39
4th - # 65
RJ - # 40
JAMS # 24 and # 66

Don't have names - just the numbers.

Andy

·
Registered
448 Posts
Andy Carlson said:
4th series a quad with 3 retired.

Open results

1st - # 3
2nd- # 23
3rd - # 39
4th - # 65
RJ - # 40
JAMS # 24 and # 66

Don't have names - just the numbers.

Andy

3 FC/AFC Vinwood's Dont' Look Ethel Mike Kammerer Danny Farmer/Ryan Brasseaux

23 FC Tiger's Goodness Gracious Steve & Jan Helgoth Danny Farmer/Ryan Brasseaux

39 AFC Cotes Du Rhone Martha and John Russell Martha Russell

65 FC Gray's Creek Go Gabby Girl William Bowen Danny Farmer/Ryan Brasseaux

40 FC Ruf Sea's Angus William Bowen Danny Farmer/Ryan Brasseaux

24 Woody Creek's Poetic Justice Jimmy Banks Mark Edwards

66 YDK Dixie's Li'l Bit of Boss Edward Fletcher Dave Rorem

hope that is correct--just copied from EE

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Last dogs left to run the Amateur land blind this morning were greeted with a different test, with the wind in their face instead of right to left.

The gun stand became a non-issue and most blinds this morning were good to very good.

Those who had dings on the marks and lots of whistles to keep the dogs on line the day before were dropped. Unfortunately several of us had to spend the night or drive out and burn up a morning to find out we were not called back. An argument for partial callbacks could certainly be made!

18 called back to the water blind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts