RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I have 15 week old Male and Female Boykin litter mates. The Male (Mojo) is doing great and what I would consider "thriving" on the Diamond Puppy that the breeder was feeding when I got them at 9.5 weeks.....The Female (Shaw) is not....She seems skinny...her coat is more dull and she is much lighter....Mojo is 20lbs....She is 16.5.

She is the Fire Breather and Mo is laid back plus she is a Female so I would expect her to be lighter but as I said her coat,muscle mass etc.... Has me slightly concerned.

No signs of allergies from either at this point.

Any suggestions for her?

BSS Nationals with their GrandSire GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR10NCH

She's the Pup in the back.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wouldn't expect them to continue to stay exactly the same in weight (even littermates).

When we she last checked for parasites.

How many times do you feed her per day?

There's still a lot of variety of body type even within the same litter.

Perhaps she just needs more food per day than the male.

I kept two littermates from my August 2010 Boykin litter, a male and a female. The male has a higher metabolism and requires one 2/3 cups more food more day than the female, but they are still on the same type food.

I have a female that is 7 months old that I purchased as a pup from a vet in North Carolina. She is only 17 lbs now so count yourself Lucky...she's probably only going to mature to 25 lbs and that's probably a stretch...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frontier

They are Parasite Free according to the Vet last week....Had them checked when he drew blood for the EIC Test.

She eats 1.5 Cups 3 Times per day....Well she actually only eats about 3/4-1 1/4 cups.

She just doesn't seem to like the food and her body doesn't seem to like it either....I'm going to try Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy.....I'll gradually fold it in this week and see how she does.

I wouldn't expect them to continue to stay exactly the same in weight (even littermates).

When we she last checked for parasites.

How many times do you feed her per day?

There's still a lot of variety of body type even within the same litter.

Perhaps she just needs more food per day than the male.

I kept two littermates from my August 2010 Boykin litter, a male and a female. The male has a higher metabolism and requires one 2/3 cups more food more day than the female, but they are still on the same type food.

I have a female that is 7 months old that I purchased as a pup from a vet in North Carolina. She is only 17 lbs now so count yourself Lucky...she's probably only going to mature to 25 lbs and that's probably a stretch...

·
Registered
952 Posts
We feed our AWS pups Taste of the Wild, Pacific Salmon Formula. It's an all life stage food.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Frontier

They are Parasite Free according to the Vet last week....Had them checked when he drew blood for the EIC Test.

She eats 1.5 Cups 3 Times per day....Well she actually only eats about 3/4-1 1/4 cups.

She just doesn't seem to like the food and her body doesn't seem to like it either....I'm going to try Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy.....I'll gradually fold it in this week and see how she does.
Could also be teething... try adding some low fat chicken broth to the dry food.

I wouldn't suggest changing dog foods immediately..actually changing dog foods frequently can make the problem worse and cause a dog to be a picky eater. Taste of the Wild is good one if you are feeding only one or two dogs..it is pricey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts