RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've tried a Google search on this, but can't seem to phrase what I'm wondering. So, to settle an argument amongst friends, perhaps someone in this plethera of vast knowledge can assist. The question is: if you have one whistle that produces say 100 decibals, and a second whistle that produces 100 decibals, does blowing them simulteneously generate 200 decibals of interpreted sound? Or maybe an increase, say 150 decibals? I realize there are factors that affect how much one hears, such as wind, terrain, sound refraction, etc., so let's assume "theory" here and rule those out.

Hating to admit when I'm wrong Regards, :x

Matt

· Registered
892 Posts
No, decibel levels aren't additive like that since they are on a Log scale.

Double the decibels and actually 10 times the about of sound pressure. Adding two sources, and you get a fraction of the amount you would think. I think when you add a 100 decibel sound to another 100 decibel sound, you get 103 decibels.

Here is a helpful tool: http://www.jglacoustics.com/acoustics-dc_1.html

Note: I am trying to recall all of this from memory. My ergonomics engineering book is at home.

· Registered
7,268 Posts
Terry is correct. Here is how it's worked out. Also, I figured Terry might enjoy the Batman Calculus that a freind sent me yesterday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.