RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, just found out my new home away from home will be South Texas (1-1.5 south of San Antonio). Somewhere near the Pleasanton/Jourdantown area. I'm adding a pup in September & will be bringing him to work & live with me while I'm down there (14 & 7). Just wanted to know if anyone trains down there or if anyone knows of some trainer friendly land owners with good grounds. I could use some contacts because it would save me a lot of detective work;). Also, what do you people from cactus country do while training??? Do you avoid fields & areas with it altogether???

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
south TX is dove and deer country....and also the home of some very large rattlesnakes and if you are lucky the last of the great quail hunting in the state..most of the land in that area will be leased to hunters and water tanks will be at a premium, deer hunters dont mix real well with dog trainers ,they are very possessive of their leases..You might have to look closer to the Austin area or northeastward toward Bryan College Station

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dutchboy, First thing to do is contact Alamo Retriever Club, and hook up with them. I am a new member and have foudthesefolks to be reall outstanding people. The last hunt test of this spring is June 16th & 17th here in San Antonio, a good time to meet the group if you can make it. There is also a fall UKC & AKC test planned. I believe there are several members in the Pleasanton area, and we try to have a monthly training day for the entire club.

As far as the cactus goes, we don't train in a area that is thick with it, but you can't entirely avoid it either. Also you have to let your dogs learn about avoiding it and sandburrs too, it does to seem to take long for this to happen. You can contact me or any member on the ARC web site, we will be glad to welcome you to south Texas.

Jay Brown

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Jay : I completely forgot about the Alamo RC. sorry about that

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Jay, if I'm down during the hunt test ill come by and visit and meet everybody. I've been scouring Google earth looking for what little water there is. Worst case for watermarks, I think Choke Canyon is about 45 mins from where I'll be working and living. Land work shouldn't be that hard to come by.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thx Jay, if I'm down during the hunt test ill come by and visit and meet everybody. I've been scouring Google earth looking for what little water there is. Worst case for watermarks, I think Choke Canyon is about 45 mins from where I'll be working and living. Land work shouldn't be that hard to come by.
Choke Canyon has lots of alligators, including a number greater than 12 feet in length. Don't think I would be doing any training there except during the one or two coldest months of winter.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
One thing about cactus if you have a yellow dog is that the thorns won't show so if you have been working your dog anywhere you think it could have come in contact with cactus, you should gently run your hands all over the sides, legs, chest, and underside of your dog. You should be able to feel any thorns if you are careful and thorough. My wife and I have spent hours hunting and extracting thorns from our dog after a day in the field dove hunting. If you haven't gotten your dog vaccinated for snake bite, I would really advise you do, and there really is no effective vaccine for gators, so be careful there, Choke canyon won't be the only place you might run across gators big enough to ruin your day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm from Louisiana so I know all about being careful around gators. Choke canyon doesn't have near the gator population that any of the places I hunt over here. Thx for the tips about cactus. I'll keep an eye out for both for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts