RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone besides me had to deal with an incredibly excessive increase in the population of fleas in Southern California (particularly coastal) this year? It seems like there are billions of the nasty little critters for the first time in at least 8 years. My Sadie had never had a problem with them until this year (I use Frontline Plus on her every month year-round)...but now she's going nuts! I've even added Capstar twice a week some weeks and even it doesn't seem to be solving the problem. Aside from the p.i.t.a. of dealing with them, I'm also dealing with the fact that Sadie is allergic to them. Before you ask:
1. I've tried to locate the source of this new increased infestation with no success
2. The vet says this is a very unusual year for fleas because of our weird weather fluctuations
3. The vet also says I can start using the Frontline Plus every two weeks instead of once a month to see if that helps
4. I've increased the frequency of Sadie's grooming schedule
5. There is no evidence of fleas in the house (probably all jumping on Sadie!)
6. We have not been anywhere different than we normally go except for one trip down onto the sand at the beach, followed by a swim in the ocean
7. I have not sprayed around the outside of the house because Sadie doesn't appear to be picking them up there, either...and I just don't trust the safety of sprays

An interesting sidebar: both the vet and her techs have asked if we have had an increase in the number of 'possums this year, and the answer is yes...big time! They say that 'possums are like salt shakers for fleas and that may be at least part of the problem. Not sure I buy that theory, but right now I'm looking for any ideas I can get...and thanks in advance for your input!

I know, I know...the old saying is that "all dogs have fleas." But we've not had a problem like this before.

G

·
I had one grooming customer that never had a flea problem till she went to san Diego to the doggy beach. we used frontline she sprayed house and yard washed all bedding and put flea powder in her vacuum bag to kill any that were picked up within a month they were gone. I hope you get control quickly they drive a dog nuts.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Anybody have any experience with Vectra? We have been having a major flea problem too and our vet recommended VECTRA 3D which I applied for the first time this morning. Another suggestion was some kind of twice a year oral treatment.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one grooming customer that never had a flea problem till she went to san Diego to the doggy beach. we used frontline she sprayed house and yard washed all bedding and put flea powder in her vacuum bag to kill any that were picked up within a month they were gone. I hope you get control quickly they drive a dog nuts.
You can bet I'll try your suggestion! My wife and I were hashing through all this again last evening, and the walk down onto the beach was the only thing we could think of that was different. If that's the source, then I'm really disappointed because Sadie enjoyed it so much. We live within walking distance of the sand, but I don't take Sadie down there because of the "problem" we have with the State Beach lifeguards...there is, after all, a leash law where we are that is actually enforced! :roll:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We have not had a flea problem since we started sweeping a flea preventive into the carpet about 15 years ago. Before that we could not contain them. The vet is always amazed that he cannot find any on them and sell us topical flea and tick applications.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Has anyone besides me had to deal with an incredibly excessive increase in the population of fleas in Southern California (particularly coastal) this year? It seems like there are billions of the nasty little critters for the first time in at least 8 years. My Sadie had never had a problem with them until this year (I use Frontline Plus on her every month year-round)...but now she's going nuts! I've even added Capstar twice a week some weeks and even it doesn't seem to be solving the problem. Aside from the p.i.t.a. of dealing with them, I'm also dealing with the fact that Sadie is allergic to them. Before you ask:
1. I've tried to locate the source of this new increased infestation with no success
2. The vet says this is a very unusual year for fleas because of our weird weather fluctuations
3. The vet also says I can start using the Frontline Plus every two weeks instead of once a month to see if that helps
4. I've increased the frequency of Sadie's grooming schedule
5. There is no evidence of fleas in the house (probably all jumping on Sadie!)
6. We have not been anywhere different than we normally go except for one trip down onto the sand at the beach, followed by a swim in the ocean
7. I have not sprayed around the outside of the house because Sadie doesn't appear to be picking them up there, either...and I just don't trust the safety of sprays

An interesting sidebar: both the vet and her techs have asked if we have had an increase in the number of 'possums this year, and the answer is yes...big time! They say that 'possums are like salt shakers for fleas and that may be at least part of the problem. Not sure I buy that theory, but right now I'm looking for any ideas I can get...and thanks in advance for your input!

I know, I know...the old saying is that "all dogs have fleas." But we've not had a problem like this before.
#5 and #7 - although you may not see them, fleas only spend a small percent of time feeding on their food source. The rest of the time they are multiplying in your environment, home and yard. Suggest implementing some indoor and outdoor premise strategies, whether you spray yourself or hire a professional...

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
We have not had a flea problem since we started sweeping a flea preventive into the carpet about 15 years ago. Before that we could not contain them. The vet is always amazed that he cannot find any on them and sell us topical flea and tick applications.
What flea preventative?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
When I lived in Santa Barbara we used eucalyptus leaves and put them under a throw rug or something like that and it took care of the fleas pretty good and you've got eucalyptus trees everywhere in Southern California so you can cut them down every week if you n e e d t o.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What flea preventative?
It is a diatomaceous earth mixture. I forget the brand name. We bought a 10 lb bucket of it at Home Depot 15 years ago (or longer) and we just sweep some in ever few years and then vacuum. The writing has worn off the bucket after all of this time. I do not think the breed prolifically in the yard as they do not do survive well in water. They do thrive in carpets, if untreated. We hated the flea bombs, flea shampoo and other poisons we used before the dust treatment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live in Texas but had a similar problem a year or two back. It was really bad. We had the yard commercially sprayed a time or two and that helped. But something else that seemed to work was switching to Comfortis instead of a topical flea treatment.

On the diatamatious earth (sp), we call it DE and you can get it cheap at any organics store. the strait DE will work just fine, dont worry about a mixture. It works because it is such a fine powder, you have to get the fine one, that the particulars get stuck in the exoskeleton of the flea causing it not to be able to move, and thus die. It is not a poison at all. It works really well, it will not hurt the dog if he eats it, and you can brush it in the coat to help there also. The only thing is that you have to cover the whole yard and house with it. If you miss a spot the fleas will keep on living. And you have to apply it a few times on the yard as it will blow away in the wind.

Sorry to hear about the flea's good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts