RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with Southern Oak Kennels?
I am looking for a well bred, highly trainable lab, that will most importantly be a family dog. Does anyone have any experience with any of their dogs?

·
Registered
912 Posts
For what you are wanting a SOK lab will fit the bill.

if you were looking into running FTs or hunt test at the highest levels I would probably advise going in a different direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you own a puppy from them?

could you speak to their temperament
For what you are wanting a SOK lab will fit the bill.

if you were looking into running FTs or hunt test at the highest levels I would probably advise going in a different direction.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do you own a puppy from them?

could you speak to their temperament
I do not but they are a kennel who's primary focus is on temperament. IMO maybe too much focus on temperament. That's just my opinion and they may say different.

I do not own a SOK pup but I've had several conversations with Barton and with many SOK pup owners.

I don't think there are any active members on this forum with pups from them. Most members are focused on hunt testing and field trials. SOK will be the first to tell you that while they believe you can be successful running their pups in HTs, that is not their focus and they will tell you to look else where if wanting to get into FTs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do not but they are a kennel who's primary focus is on temperament. IMO maybe too much focus on temperament. That's just my opinion and they may say different.

I do not own a SOK pup but I've had several conversations with Barton and with many SOK pup owners.

I don't think there are any active members on this forum with pups from them. Most members are focused on hunt testing and field trials. SOK will be the first to tell you that while they believe you can be successful running their pups in HTs, that is not their focus and they will tell you to look else where if wanting to get into FTs.
I do own an SOK pup, he's currently 3/4 in HRC Finished, and the one test he failed only had 7 dogs to pass. This weekend's test saw several SOK dogs performing as well as the best dogs in the flight, according to the judges. Most of the Southern Oak breedings have a huge amount of drive and are plenty of dog to compete in hunt tests. That said, most will require a trainer that does not expect cookie cutter and you need to allow for a slower maturing dog that needs to be read to get the best out of them. However, if you look at the Southern Oak Kennels society page on the facebook you'll see that many of these dogs are doing very well in HRC. Some of these owners use Carr-based programs (I followed Smartworks as a framework and used drills from other programs and trainers also), some don't, dog's don't care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to temperament, are you saying their dogs are more on the calm relaxed side or the high energy high drive side?

·
Registered
190 Posts
In regards to temperament, are you saying their dogs are more on the calm relaxed side or the high energy high drive side?
Bryan seemed to be saying they were calmer than he prefers, which is fine. And I agree that they are not the ticket if you want to run field trials.

I can only say that most of them are very calm and chill until it's work time. Some of the breedings are hot as a firecracker and take a firm hand to manage, some are very laid back, but none lack bird drive. It's not uncommon for some of us to train with 4-8 dogs sitting behind the line just waiting their turn, not tied out. Quiet and steady until go time. Where are you located, there's probably someone close to you with some dogs you can go see for yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts