RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed 2 pigeons and taped their wings with non-sticky painter tape. I used them 2x each, one each day. Dog didn't like picking up pigeons. Neighbor came to my house (invited) and saw empty cage (lg wire dog crate) and a several feathers on floor (pigeons had been returned to person who keeps them for dog training). She reported me to SPCA who are now researching whether what I did was cruelty to animals --pigeons. Pigeons were not hurt as dog gently picked them up, there was no blood or even lost feathers in the field. Canada has stiff rules on using birds for retrieveing so all our events use dead ducks. The dog never saw or bothered pigeons in wire crate and the feathers are from me capturing them and taking them out of cage to take to field.
Has anyone (especially in Canada) had a problem with SPCA and use of live pigeons.?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If this person was a friend, then you don't need any enemies.

Let me stipulate, I don't know the laws in Canada. But she reported you to the SPCA. Does the SPCA have police powers in Canada?

Next question... if they have authority to prosecute, does the SPCA have to prove you injured the pigeons before they can bring a case or is it enough prove probable cause of emotional hardship to the pigeons? (I know... it sounds comical, but this is how absurd things are getting.) I guess I'm asking, are you innocent in Canada until proven guilty?

Since the pigeons don't make the best witnesses for the prosecution, do they expect your loon of a neighbor to press charges?

What are the penalties that the SPCA can levy against you? (Take your pigeon license away?)

Next... can you sue your neighbor for harassment and/or the SPCA for abuse of power?

Is there a hunting dog training/hunting group in Canada that can speak for or represent the interests of retriever trainers?

I know of a case in another country where one pro was worried about a guy and his dog that constituted a serious threat to his dominance in the blue-ribbon department. This guy took some grainy long-distance video purporting to show his rival abusing a pigeon. It required many hearings, money and time for the guy to prove he was not guilty of cruelty.

I think this is a cautionary tale for all of us. We can no longer afford to train retrievers when Joe Public is hanging around. They don't believe in the use of e-collars (or rather, they believe that NO ONE should be allowed to use e-collars), they don't believe in shooting feathery creatures. Even doing obedience in public can be dicey (or maybe I'm a loon magnate. I've had people in my grill because I had a pinch collar on my dog. I've also been reported to the Humane Society for having dogs "locked" in the back of my truck.)

People are getting weird.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
did you tell her how you used the pigeons?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh dear, 1Tulip, you made me laugh. Funny, but by the time she came over, and she never saw me use the pigons, all there was was an empty dog wire crate--the pigeons had gone home. Just left a few feathers behind. I explaned that the feathers were from me taking them out of cage. pigeons slip their feather easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no I told her what I was doing. I am proud of my training efforts. From now on I will shut my beak.!!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Were the pigeons native born or immigrants from the US? Surely the law has more important things to do than worry about two pigeons. I'll bet they treat it as a crank call.
Now if they are immigrants, the agriculture boys will get worked up. Hahalol!

·
Registered
65 Posts
To the OP,
In Canada the only area which would be a cause of concern is throwing or launching a bird and shooting it. Birds can be placed in fields, flushed and shot according to our regulations.

The fact that you would use a dead pigeon for training is a mute point.

As far as your neighbour goes I would contact the police in the future and lay harrassment or public mischief charges. I probably would issue her a no trespass letter as well.

In Canada , the SPCA have no powers of investigation meaning they can only respond to complaints. They can't just show up at your door unless they have been called.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
To the OP,
In Canada the only area which would be a cause of concern is throwing or launching a bird and shooting it. Birds can be placed in fields, flushed and shot according to our regulations.
Can you throw a shackled pigeon and not shoot it, still have the dog retrieve the pigeon? but not throw and shoot?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you throw a shackled pigeon and not shoot it, still have the dog retrieve the pigeon? but not throw and shoot?
I am not aware of any legislation prohibiting this. Here for example, pigeons can be shot year round with no limits. I am aware of a private members bill proposed that might affect this in the future.....if passed.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I think the neighbor completely misunderstood you.
After you rescued these pigeons, you confined them in that cage, nursed them back to health and rehabilitated them. Then you released them back into the wild.
Yeah, that's what happened. Your word against hers. And rumor has it that she drinks a lot.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Some years ago I had a rookie Natural Resources Warden , come onto private approved (signed) land with four guys in white jackets. I was shooting my own raised pigeons and dead tagged ducks/pheasants. He did not know I talked to his regional Division Captain already..his boss. Gave the Capt my doggies cards..be prepared folks. Let the rookie vent..told him I talked to the Capt. He got meek but reminded me , even in June I should have a valid hunting license to shoot my own pigeons? Whatever. The property owner had binoc on us from the porch, said to me what the h...was that about. She said, does that mean when I kill my chickens I have to be licensed too. Called the Capt..I said go easy but ,,,this was in Massachusetts where rules are king. I always have a valid hunting license on me since 1994. Be prepared for any and all idiots..many do not like blood sports even when the killing is done humanely.

PS use popper loads in the guns and hood the birds instead of shackling.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The OP doesn't say where in Canada s/he is. In Ontario the SPCA seems to have considerably more power than elsewhere. Nonetheless, the fact that nothing was witnessed by the neighbor of any action by you should stand you in good stead. As Mark Littlejohn said, you had the pigeons in the crate and now they are gone. It would be the neighbor's word against yours and she doesn't have any basis for saying the pigeons were harmed in any way.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I think the neighbor completely misunderstood you.
After you rescued these pigeons, you confined them in that cage, nursed them back to health and rehabilitated them. Then you released them back into the wild.
Yeah, that's what happened. Your word against hers. And rumor has it that she drinks a lot.
Genius....genius...genius!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
When this is all over I hope you give that bitch an earful. I'd call her everything but a wheel barrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts