RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this as I was looking up "alligator prevention" (LOL)

Alligators are most dangerous in water or at the water’s edge. They occasionally make overland forays in search of new habitat, mates, or prey. Concrete or wooden bulkheads that are a minimum of 3 feet (1 m) above the high water mark will repel alligators along waterways and lakes. Alligators have been documented to climb 5-foot (1.5-m) chain-link fences to get at dogs. Fences at least 5 feet high with 4-inch (10-cm) mesh will effectively exclude larger alligators if the top of the fence is angled outward.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There was a video circulating for a while of a gator climbing over a fence. It was pretty amazing.
We went to train yesterday in a new pond and there was a little 5 footer swimming around in it. He was too young and stupid to be afraid, so I threw a couple of bumpers at him. That didn't work, so I sent a big dog in for the bumpers. When he saw the dog coming, he dove, but popped right back up to check the dog out. We decided that he was a little too bold to run the smaller dogs so we moved on and ran some land marks.
I sure hope nothing happens to the cute little rascal. :wink:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Hookset said:
I sure hope nothing happens to the cute little rascal. :wink:
Like dinner?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Kristie Wilder said:
Just found this as I was looking up "alligator prevention" (LOL)

Alligators are most dangerous in water or at the water’s edge. They occasionally make overland forays in search of new habitat, mates, or prey. Concrete or wooden bulkheads that are a minimum of 3 feet (1 m) above the high water mark will repel alligators along waterways and lakes. Alligators have been documented to climb 5-foot (1.5-m) chain-link fences to get at dogs. Fences at least 5 feet high with 4-inch (10-cm) mesh will effectively exclude larger alligators if the top of the fence is angled outward.
The bottom of the fence must be set into the ground or they will just push under.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Years ago a trialer from down in Georgia (I believe it was down that way) was running a young dog on a water blind up here in a FT in the Great White North, run in a beaver pond -- a beaver saw the dog and slapped its tail in alarm -- the dog saw the splash and was momentarily pulled off line but then was handled nicely to pick up the blind -- the dog finished the trial with a ribbon but didn't win -- the handler in a very Southern drawl said (after a few drinks of good Canadian rye) "We don't have beavers down south but we do have gators and they don't just slap their tails, they eat the damn dog".

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
How do you think they get into cattle pastures and drag 100# calves away?
Spoken by someone who knows regards

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
When I was in graduate school at the University of Florida I would sometimes take a walk along Lake Alice on campus with my lab. When we would come up on a gator submerged as soon as it saw the dog it would raise up in the water so it could smell the dog. They would do the same thing with small children. The univeristy would try to remove any gators that got over 6-8 feet in length. It sometimes took them a while to get the big ones out.

Tom

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hookset wrote
so I threw a couple of bumpers at him.
Why didn't you throw some 150 grain lead at him?

I was in La. a couple weeks ago at a hunt test and the subject came up and a judge, well respected and nameless here, told me that the wardens have told him to shoot them all regardless of size. It's considered protecting your dog and not considered hunting unless you attempt to pick them up or retrieve them.
If I lived in lizard country a 30-06 would stay in my trailer.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Here is a 4.5 footer that climbed over my 5 foot chain link fence. She is laying her eggs under my Bald Cypress tree. :wink:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey Booty!!!

Speaking of garden statuary....

Your post reminds me of the old game of "Count the Madonnas" in the front yards on the way down to Grand Isle when I was a kid.....

Some kids played 20 Questions, BeetleBug or I Spy.....but good Catholic boys play "Count the Madonnas"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I remember hearing about one in Alabama many years ago that had a 243 cereberial hemorrhage right in someone's front yard. Poor thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts