RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Peake said:
Any suggestions beyond running backwards and twirling a bumper to step up a medium 50% speed delivery?
Thanks,
Peake
UPS is normally slow. Ever try FEDEX? hehhehhehheh

What stage...what age...? Probably the animals trait? If not, are we talking singles?

If young, not very important. If while doing multiples, it has become important because of memory, then work on it with the whistle come-in.

Teach it like the 'conditioned' come-in, only with the dogs favorite treats. Like the forced version, you don't apply pressure on every call-in, don't provide treats on all trill-ins. Start short and stretch it out. Dog never 'knows' when it will be rewarded. Eventually it will develope it's rhythm.

Another form of lethargy breaking is to get the dog on a hard surface parking lot, and do some ball chasing. It's important for them to move quickly to get the bouncing ball. Have another one in your hand to bounce as the dog is returning, so if it gets 'into' the game, it will hurry back for the next throw. Throws, BTW, should never be long, just hard off the surface so they bounce high.

All this does is make the dog overall more energetic and excited. I let my grandkids do it in the back yard with tennis balls. But in my case, I don't let the dog break, only go when sent. Even in a high state of excitement, I want them to be thinking about who's in charge.

Good luck, Dave.

UB

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Forget delivery for a few days and do recalls. MOST Chessies cannot stand NOT to be close to the boss. Put the Brown Dog on a sit stay and walk away(enforce sit as necessary). When it is obvious that BD can't stand it anymore, command here! Watch the dog really kick it into gear. When my first dog was rock steady on stays( as long as she could see me), I would take her out of the truck and put her on a sit and then drive down the lane a quarter mile or so and then hit the come in whistle. (Needless to say this was on fenced property and away from traffic.) It also helps to lay on the priase when the dog is boogying in.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Bob Gutermuth said:
Forget delivery for a few days and do recalls. MOST Chessies cannot stand NOT to be close to the boss. Put the Brown Dog on a sit stay and walk away(enforce sit as necessary). When it is obvious that BD can't stand it anymore, command here! Watch the dog really kick it into gear. When my first dog was rock steady on stays( as long as she could see me), I would take her out of the truck and put her on a sit and then drive down the lane a quarter mile or so and then hit the come in whistle. (Needless to say this was on fenced property and away from traffic.) It also helps to lay on the priase when the dog is boogying in.

Dayum....shoulda known this was an insider thingy. :shock: Youse Chessie dudes shouldn't be yankin' us unsuspectin' yahoos. Goes ta show ya, I'm not too good at readin' tween the lines. :roll:

UB

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool, I think I will try a combo of those suggestions with a long remote sit combined with a tennis ball thrown back as dog (just out of FF 9mo old) gets to the half way point. She may never be a full throttle girl but I don't want no pigs either...hmm, maybe I should edit that? :lol:
Peake
________
Honda scv100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts