RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a question for those who use frozen semen to breed there bitch, do you have all those details about the frozen semen your getting from the clinic?

1- percentage motility before freezing and after freezing ( post-thaw ).
2- volume (amount of sperm total) in millimeter.
3- sperm quality (poor, average, good or excellent ) ex: going strait line or turning around.
4- progression of the sperm (slow, moderate or fast speed).

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Hi,

I have a question for those who use frozen semen to breed there bitch, do you have all those details about the frozen semen your getting from the clinic?

3- sperm quality (poor, average, good or excellent ) ex: going strait line or turning around.

Thanks,
#4 sounds like a report from an automated sperm counting machine.

Many samples are done manually and may or may not come with the sample. Ideally you should request this information before it is sent and not when you are ready to inseminate. Not all samples are as good as others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did a frozen semen breeding and I did get the post thaw test results from my vet.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Being on the stud side of the equation I know the vet who collected and froze my dog's semen did everything on your list, including sacrificing one of the straws a day or two later to thaw and evaluate. She sends me a report which I in turn share with the owner of any bitch interested in breeding to my male.

John

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
re: fresh chilled sperm. It was tested by the vet doing the collecting who contacted the stud dog owner about its condition. We were not told. We did not know the condition until after it was sent to our repro vet who tested it. That's when we learned of its condition.

re: frozen sperm. It was shipped to our repro vet. No report of its condition was provided by the sperm bank. It arrived and was tested by our vet prior to using it. That's when we learned of its condition.

I do not know if our experiences are typical or not. I don't know if sperm test results can be provided by the collecting vet or the sperm bank without the stud dog owner's permission.

Helen

·
Registered
317 Posts
Only got report that all looked good after thaw.
All repo center forwarded was collection info ( dates etc) nothing on condition.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Being on the stud dog side also, I have all that information available and am glad to share it with the bitch's owner. I believe the clinic can, technically, only release the information to the dog's owner unless the dog's owner requests it be released to another specific person.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Only got report that all looked good after thaw.
All repo center forwarded was collection info ( dates etc) nothing on condition.
This was our experience with paying for frozen sperm sent to our repro vet by the clinic who was storing the frozen sperm.

There were no test reports as to the condition of the sperm when it was collected and frozen. Our repro vet received only the date when it was collected.

The condition of the sperm became known when our vet tested it after it arrived.

Helen

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
I did not get those details before the (our first) A.I., (although "rumors" said other wise, I had to ask my questions minutes before surgery) - which lead to my blood pressure rising! Our sperm sample was perfect - but I will be asking for those details in the future - before purchasing! Also what I found, it depends on the competence of the A.I. clinic upon approriate thaw procedures. Dr Hutch, Dr Greenfield and his staff are so awesome! They took the time to inform us on the basics, and took as second look.
We were able to see the sample through the microscope - and determine for ourselves (not knowing much) - those great swimmers were healthy as could be. And then confirmed there were no worries! But, next time I will ask first just to make sure, so I don't wait 'til the last moment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I received a report when we did our AI. The report showed what year it was collected, it's qulality and mobility, and then another after it was thawed out showing its mobility and quality. Sperm was 10 years old and had 7 pups.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am also coming from the stud dog side of the equation. I stopped doing frozen a few years ago since so few breeders wanted to use frozen semen. But I do get all of the 4 criteria listed in the OP during a collection for fresh chilled. I think the speed is just a visual.

I have a related question. In both of the stud dogs I have used, the second collection is always higher quality than the first. This makes sense to me since the first collection includes old sperm and the second, two days later is fresh. But, in speaking to a vet during the latest breeding, she indicated that this was not normal. I had assumed it was since both of my boys displayed this characteristic.
Jim

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I think the speed is just a visual.
It can be but on the automated counts they actually take a picture and the sperm are in different colors as to speed.

I have a related question. In both of the stud dogs I have used, the second collection is always higher quality than the first. This makes sense to me since the first collection includes old sperm and the second, two days later is fresh. But, in speaking to a vet during the latest breeding, she indicated that this was not normal. I had assumed it was since both of my boys displayed this characteristic
Jim

I don't think I would term it as not normal. The counts can vary. Is the dog used to being "collected" when you did the counts? There can be a big difference between what stimulated them during the collection and the count. My boys could differ in counts due more to that than not being bred for awhile

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never thought of it varying because of the bitch used. There is always a teaser used but it is usually a OES the vet has on site. I still tend to think it is fresh vs old sperm. The same teaser is used in both collections. Oh well, it was one of those questions you cannot ask just anyone.

It can be but on the automated counts they actually take a picture and the sperm are in different colors as to speed.

Jim

I don't think I would term it as not normal. The counts can vary. Is the dog used to being "collected" when you did the counts? There can be a big difference between what stimulated them during the collection and the count. My boys could differ in counts due more to that than not being bred for awhile

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Never thought of it varying because of the bitch used. There is always a teaser used but it is usually a OES the vet has on site. I still tend to think it is fresh vs old sperm. The same teaser is used in both collections. Oh well, it was one of those questions you cannot ask just anyone.
It could be-what was the difference in numbers? When they Really like the bitch, you get a better collection.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What are you considering "quality"? My boy's counts don't change from one collection to the next if they're done close together, but the "abnormals" go down because they are higher in a dog that hasn't been collected for a while. Also, I didn't realize that the abnormal numbers go way up if you collect right after training for 2 hours in the heat....trust me, they do!

I am also coming from the stud dog side of the equation. I stopped doing frozen a few years ago since so few breeders wanted to use frozen semen. But I do get all of the 4 criteria listed in the OP during a collection for fresh chilled. I think the speed is just a visual.

I have a related question. In both of the stud dogs I have used, the second collection is always higher quality than the first. This makes sense to me since the first collection includes old sperm and the second, two days later is fresh. But, in speaking to a vet during the latest breeding, she indicated that this was not normal. I had assumed it was since both of my boys displayed this characteristic.
Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts