RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering adding one to my spread. Turns out there are several models, floaters, feeders, and the basic spinning wing decoys.

Any experience with these decoys? Which model? Results?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My experience with the floaters is they kinda self destruct if the water is not calm they tend to grab the water with a wing ,then its all down hill or they seen to always find another decoy and smack it ,then the mess begins.
The baby Mojo is probably the best I've use ,their cheaper,and so are the replacement wings.I would recommend spending a little more and get the remote control and the random feature is nice.Once the battery goes to crap I buy the rechargeable square lantern batteries and with a little modification they work just as good. They can be recharged with any modern car charger and you can buy 3 of them compared to one brand name battery.I have a Lucky Duck brand and it sounds like a Dodge Cummings motor and has since day one.
This year I've got plans to modify an old trolling motor head and place it at the waters edge on a bracket to put motion in the spread.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If you are going to use one (or more), pay the extra for the remote. Being able to turn it off easily can be a huge advantage.

If you hunt public after the first week, put it up and turn it on immediately. When all the decoys are out and you're back in the blind.....turn it off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I both like them and hate them. Some days they are great. Some days they are a PITA.

Get 2 of each type. :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometime it seems like they help and other times it seems like they scare the ducks off. Generally I don't like them, more to keep up with, battery always seemed to die, cords get lost ect... I also resent the fact that even duck hunting with ducks, dogs and guns is going electronic!

However I also find myself wondering in the blind if the spinner was (running/turned off) would that bring in one more duck?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They work great during early morning hunting where they, the robo duck, run constant. Later in the morning when the sun starts to shine, the remote comes in handy when working birds.
My penny worth.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They definitely arent as effective as they used to be but sometimes there great and sometimes they flare birds like crazy. Remotes are a must as the geese hate em from my experience. Nothing beats a jerk rig and good scouting though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are going to use one (or more), pay the extra for the remote. Being able to turn it off easily can be a huge advantage.

If you hunt public after the first week, put it up and turn it on immediately. When all the decoys are out and you're back in the blind.....turn it off.
Is this your fool proof plan for a nice quiet spot to yourself? I like it

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Like Shawn said, Baby mojo, ya need two.
Remotes are a must, turn em off when birds are working.
Still need that jerk rig with 4 Green Head gear magnums.
Most importantly ya need a good DOG!!! and have FUN!!!

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
For those calm days I justy throw one of those quiver disk out in the middle ( the one that look like a hockey puck and just shake) and a jerk string is about all the motion ya need. Not sure how the spinning wing dekes are nowadays but they always used to turn off with the white part of the wing facing up. Jim

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've seen them flare more birds than I've seen them attract. My buddies and I quit using them after we noticed too many birds coming in, cupping their wings, then high-tailing it out of there once they got a good look at the Mojo. The things just collect dust now.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
the spinning wings decoys seem to work well in early season and in more northern areas, but by the time the birds reach the southern states like Texas they have seen every set up and the spinners have a tendency to flare more birds than they might attract...I use a flasher when hunting in Idaho and have had mixed results, works great on the goose set ups,not so much for the ducks..The mojos work very well on the geese in AZ, but have not really helped in TX (but the mojo dove decoys rock)..the birds will tell you by their actions if they work in your area

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We knock 'em dead with spinners and that is after they have gone through the migration gauntlet. There is more to using one than simply planting it 20 yds in front of you and thinking it is going to rain birds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We knock 'em dead with spinners and that is after they have gone through the migration gauntlet. There is more to using one than simply planting it 20 yds in front of you and thinking it is going to rain birds.
I second that… I always use them and so do the guys I hunt with. But like the previous post you have to know what you are doing. When I hit the big water on the Mississippi I use 4 to 6 and it brings em in to my little cut. IMO, one just isn’t enough because they have seen one just about every point on their way down south. Nov, 13th we hit it hard with 6 guys, we have 11 of the SOBs going. Mostly all Lucky Ducks. 24 Mallards in just over an hour in Central WI.
I used to think they did more harm than good, until I added more and that was the ticket… Just my 2 cents…

·
Registered
278 Posts
A few years ago I thought they were great. Used 1 and had ducks just about land on it. after more people used them it did not work as good. I think the number game might help but you have to watch the birds and let them tell you what they want. I love the remote option so you can shut it off to save battery life. also a little tip to get the wings to stop so the white is down is to tape a little weight to the bottom of each wing. I did not like the floater style, it was more work than it was worth like stated before it will grab water and try to dive on you. I bought the extension pole from MPW which is nice since the bottom of the mojo's are square. I have had geese flare when they are on so I shut it off when I see geese.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ken- LOL, being fortunate enough to have taken a CH-53 out of Iraq I can assure you not! As you can see/hear you can't hear em over the caller... Here is the video from that morning. My buddy wanted to get some good shots with his still and he handed me the video camera (big mistake).

Its 6 minutes long, but they just kept coming, and coming. 1,000s of mallards... We were not on the field they were hitting the night before, just in thier flight path running traffic. We were in nirvana and never fired a shot (already had our 6 man limit). Like I said before, this is Central WI with 11 spinners going so it was crazy. If it were ND, I wouldn’t be surprised but here!?!

Check out at around 1:02 minute and then at 4:06 minutes. They end up doing a tornado. They gave us so many passes at 5-10 yards and were landing literally on the decoys and on top of us, I’m pretty sure my dog just thought he died and went to heaven.

*I did not plan on getting any good footage, just needed something to prove to my buddies what we were seeing. If I wasn’t there I would have never believed it either That being said, I apologize for anyone that get’s motion sickness and for the “fowl” language!*

http://youtu.be/8x9x6QT2C1k

This has sure got me even more amped up for this fall so here’s to duck season, enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts