RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1yr old FBL. She is incredibly spooky at just about anything. You don't make any sudden moves or she will turn around and put the tail between her legs. She is really sweet and fits in with the other dogs and her training is behind but I'm willing to take it slow.

I know experience is the best teacher, but any ideas on helping her with her spookiness. Any thing NOT to do?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The dog was under/unsocialized most likely. Get her out among many new things, ignoring her "spooky" behavior, but highly praising "good" behavior. Dole out treats to anyone that asks to pet her, or even to stranger walking by so that she associates people as a good thing, even in "scary" places.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have one who is Spooky and has been since puppihood. A lilly pad or stick in the water would really scare her when she was young. Nothing was "done" to this dog to create this. I believe that just like people, some are bold, some are even-tempered and some are so called spooky. She is 5 now and finished her Derby career with 14 points, is a Master Hunter, All Age Qualified by 3 and has finished 3 major stakes so with patience and perserverance, you can achieve plenty. She is also, by the way, the best "bed dog" that we have ever had and we love her.

·
Registered
71 Posts
time and more time... do not tell her its ok and baby her when shes being spooky, very much praise her for the right attitude. timing is critical with a dog like this, and they are very place specific. When in the yard, and they try to 'freeze' pull their tail up (aka dog whisper tatics). The good thing about spooky dogs is once the battles are won and the booga boos are at bay, they are lo maintence and time can be spent training instead of maintaining. And most are good snugglers in bed as another poster pointed out (and thats make them more likely to get smuggled into a hotel room!). Tj's spooky puppy is a perfect example, nobody would have took the time he did to make spooky a dog, but hes rewarded with a wonderful hunt test dog, hunting dog, and companion because of it... travis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts