RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
They will be ready for hunting in the fall as well as make excellent hunt test dogs. Field trials are a possibility as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Springer puppies are alot less expensive than lab puppies. Don't shy away from trying to find an excellent breeding. Last one I purchased was $1500 for an NAFC X FC AFC , but you kinda had to be in the loop. What are you looking to do with the dog and how much do you like to train? I can probably steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This dog will be a inside dog my wifes golden is getting older and she is wanting a small animal in the house. I want a dog that can do the work. My wife doesnt want a lab in the house so this is why I am shopping around. I train for hunt test and will probably never deviate to the flushing game so that is what is the dogs future. I train 5 days a week and will take the dog to at least HRCH status if it will do the work. Thanks for all the help. I should state that this isnt a immediate purchase just looking into the breed and breeders so I have a game plan.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Springers are smaller and all mine have been great in the house. My dogs all weigh about 40 pounds. Most of them are eager learners and want to please, although there are some outlaws. They shed as bad or worse than a lab and they're long hair tends to pick up burrs. I know there are some that have become HRCHs. They do not do as well as a lab in cold water in general. They train a little differently and learn better with praise than pressure. You need to use alot of birds with them, they're attitude will stay better.
Where they really excel is as upland flushing dogs. They have a natural tendency to quarter. This makes training them to run blinds a little different as they wanna break down and hunt. Most are pretty good markers out to hunt test ranges. If you have no interest in flushing dogs or flushing dog games they probably aren't for you.
If you wanna get one to run HRC tests with you need to find one whose parents really like the water. Most Springers love to swim but I've seen some that haven't. Water ability is not really tested in Springer field trials or hunt tests anywhere as stringently as retrievers. Perhaps you should look into a small Golden or lab female. I don't know much about Boykins but they may also work better for you.
If you wanna get a Springer just to run some HRC tests I think there are better choices, but if you're one of those folks who likes to be different it might work out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think this is very sound advice. It would take a LOT of finesse to take a Springer to an HRCH without taking much of the "spaniel" out of him. In my experience, Boykins seem a bit better suited to the non-slip work.

I'm not saying it can't be done, there are even a few GHRCH Springers. I just don't think they enjoy drills much & I especially think they need some upland work to keep their spirit up.

As for keeping a dog in the house, a lab is easier & kind of sounds like a better fit for what you've described.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This dog will be a inside dog my wifes golden is getting older and she is wanting a small animal in the house. I want a dog that can do the work. My wife doesnt want a lab in the house so this is why I am shopping around. I train for hunt test and will probably never deviate to the flushing game so that is what is the dogs future. I train 5 days a week and will take the dog to at least HRCH status if it will do the work. Thanks for all the help. I should state that this isnt a immediate purchase just looking into the breed and breeders so I have a game plan.
I would look into the bokin breed as well, they do an awesome job on upland and can still play the retriever games as well, (and duck hunt too). They cover a ton of ground, are a bit smaller than a springer in general but also can do the handling of retriever. I think in general you'll have an easier time working with a boykin to get your HRCH. I'll pm you a few links.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts