RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys pretty new to the forum, I see how everybody with experience is so helpful so I couldn't help to jump in.

I have my first Golden pup. Hes currentley 9 weeks old. The idea is to make him a hunting companion. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old so he's gotten used to his surroundings pretty good. I recentley bout Hillman's puppy video and am looking forward to working with the dog. The question is : do I let the dog get a little older maybe 12 weeks. He's retreiving almost perfectly indoors. But quickly becomes distracted when trying to retreive outdoors.

Thank you

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ruben,

Enjoy the little guy and have a blast training him. The time fly's by very quickly! I think most everyone I know that started running hunt tests, started wanting a hunting companion. You should try at least one started retriever hrc test. Never know, you might get hooked like the rest of us

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it has been a blast just having him around the house. The test will come in mind at a later time im sure!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

'Nick' in Hillmann's Puppy DVD is 11 weeks old on Day #1.

However there's been a few folks here who have used the pup starter program on much older dogs with great results.

Also Chris has helped us out with a little formula in figuring out the age of the pup as the training goes on. Here it is below;

Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson Post #74
I've not verified the numbers quoted by watchem, and others, but assuming the above is accurate, as well as the notion that the DVD encompasses 28 training sessions:

DVD = 28 training sessions
Puppy Starts at 11 weeks of age
Puppy is 24 weeks of age at the end of the DVD

The DVD encompasses 13 weeks or 91 days, or 3 1/4 months of training over 28 individual sessions.

If you took an average, which is "just a number", the DVD would have a training session on average every 3.25 days.
EDIT - The age is also revealed in the credits at the end of the DVD.

/

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
"The most important part to the beginning stages of training is to develop a relationship with the puppy that will create a bond and a partnership. This will be based on respect and kindness. This will create a partnership that will last forever."
The guidance above is quoted from the insert to Hillmann's Puppy DVD. I think the DVD is packed with general philosophy such as this that you can apply to the time you spend with your pup right now, whether you are playing, walking, feeding, crate training, house-breaking, etc. The specific training mechanics that Hillmann begins demonstrating in Day 1 can easily be adapted to your indoor play/training.

Hillmann teaches that advancement in skills and concepts should be presented in small increments -- so small that the pup may not realize that he is learning something new. Dealing with distractions is a learning process. Location is a big component of that process. Another big component of that process is the pup's bond with you -- his desire to focus on you and look to you for direction. You can work on this everytime you interact with your pup.

Going from indoors to outdoors is a big jump, especially for a 9-week old pup. Think of ways to add distractions more gradually. For example, move around to different rooms of the house. Find an isolated area outside. Let the pup explore the area with all his senses. Then take a few steps back in your expectations of your pup's concentration and focus and proceed from that point, again in small increments.

Enjoy your new pup!

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts