RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stephens Southside Slim MH...R.I.P.

Below is a picture of my beautiful boy Slim. Slim did not look like the picture when he left this world. He had been ravished by blastomycosis. His case did not result in his internal organs being attacked initially. In fact, he fought the fungal infection for about two years with the effects limited to his extremities in the form of sores.

I made sure Slim had plenty of ducks, bumpers, walks, trailer rides, etc. He even passed two HRC Finished tests last fall while affected and competed in the SRS here in Georgia. I tried to run him in a qualifying stake last fall but the infection had gotten hold of him pretty well and he was feeling poorly during the event...I let him get his birds in the fashion he wanted then quietly retired him for good.

I hand dug his grave today alone. I placed his once strong body in the ground and said goodbye.

Some may question the pics of Max here but I decided to forgo training today and being that Max is leaving me tomorrow for a possible new owner I opted to take some pics of him and share with some folks who share the same interests as I. It is hard to say goodbye to my friends...either selling them or especially through death.

God speed Slim Dog...you will be missed!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
He looks like he was a nice boy. I'm sure he was. My condolences on your loss. Heaven got another good one today.

I see he just turned 9..... too young.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like he was one great dog....

Mark

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Susan,

Slim was 9 on February 9th. He did well for two years on anti-fungal medication but early this year the blasto became too much.

Thanks for your kind words.

He was retrieving up until he could not go anymore...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Keith, so sorry about your sweet Slim. He was a good boy and I know you're going to miss him terribly.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Keith:

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. They do not stay with us long enough.

Mark

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Slim was a beautiful animal

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Blasto is a terrible disease, RIP, Slim, out of pain now. Sorry for your loss, Keith, it's very hard.

·
Registered
931 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss. He was a handsome boy. May you have many ducks in heaven.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am so sorry. Run free sweet boy.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
So Sorry ....Run Free Slim!!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Keith, so very sorry to hear of your great loss to Blasto.

We have friends whose beautiful, athletic Golden Retriever is fighting the very same... Doing better on meds but, as you say, it is a very tough..and disheartening issue to see happen to anyone's dog. Very scary.

I admire your effort and success in keeping "Slim's" life normal for such a length of time with the antifungal meds.

God Speed, "Slim"....enjoy the endless fields, water..and birds to your heart's delight..and new found health as well...

Most Sincere Condolences, Keith..

Judy (picture is a lovely tribute..)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Keith so sorry for your loss!!

The Homburg's

1 - 20 of 32 Posts