RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 27 Posts

Registered
There are reasons for stickmen.
If you want your dog to be comfortable/confident marking a bird at 300 yd (that 'sailer'), then stick men will come in very handy ---
BUT, I generally agree with Steve on this, not absolutely necessary and possibly counterproductive for a hunting dog, if they learn to depend on them...... I use stickmen about half the time when I train, when I am working on concepts or running FT distance marks. The rest of the time, I hide my wingers in/behind brush or grass, or a blind, if needed, but I prefer natural cover if at all possible. The get the shot/sound for location purposes. Unless I am getting ready to run HRC, which does not use attn getting sounds in the field, then I go silent throws from hidden stations for the week before the test.

Registered
Opinions on what is "absolutely necessary" for a hunting dog vary a great deal.
Stick men used in training retrievers for field trials, hunt tests or hunting are not counterproductive but training methods frequently are.
A dog becoming dependent on stick men would be one possible result of poor training.
DP....I think we could name you the spindoctor of rtf. 馃槀 you are really great at taking someone's words and reorganizing them for a different meaning....

I mean, I could recommend giving beer to the gunners at a training session and you would find a way to make it seem like they were all alcoholics. LOL!!!!!

Registered
DP I wasn't offended - that is one thing RTF has taught me. But I did want to make myself understood more clearly. People pick keywords that stick out to them and focus on those

And yes, I do believe you are very good at spinning things. No offense meant.

1 - 4 of 27 Posts