RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I dont have an answer but this reminds me of the first trial I attended, I was watching the AM and was completely blown away with the dog work when the older gentleman sitting next to me said he needed to go get ready to run but went on to explain to me how his dog had "gotten trial wise" and had a habit of not bring the last bird back, but he was going to try and trick her and not put his white coat on that day, he could never get her to do it in training. Didnt work she nailed the first two marks with perfect delivery did a nice job on the third bird and then proceeded to go around him at the line with the last bird and head straight for the truck. At the time I had a hard time figuring out how such a highly trained dog would do that. Now I know.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Jeff... doesn't this sort of have a finite half life? I mean, dogs are so smart, they figure out pretty quick when we are lying to them. (Not that I wouldn't do it in a heart beat if I had to... )
I agree. However, the problem is described as only arising late in competition, and generally with some early stickiness as a warning. I would only try "one more blind" when the problem actually arose so it would take a while for the dog to figure out the deception. Leaving the bird in the dog's mouth is something I have been trained to do anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree. However, the problem is described as only arising late in competition, and generally with some early stickiness as a warning. I would only try "one more blind" when the problem actually arose so it would take a while for the dog to figure out the deception. Leaving the bird in the dog's mouth is something I have been trained to do anyway.
Lining him up and telling him mark worked twice, dead bird worked once...

Since this issue started I havent run but maybe 2 tests per year. This is the first time I wasnt able to get the bird back.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
When you figure out why your dog is freezing on the bird it sometimes makes the fault easier to correct. There are 3 reason a dog freezes on a bird: first, resentment, second, nerves an of course pressure. The best possible result would be to actually cure the problem, but that rarely happens, controlling the problem is probably the best avenue to follow on an 8 year old dog. i have come to the conclusion that you never know what bizarre training technique will work--even things that are not technically sound that i never thought would work. Personally, i would go with a quick fix because of the dogs age. The probem with these so called quick fixes is that if they do not work your only other alternative is to apply maximum pressure which will either allow youi to control the problem or destroy the dog. Wish i had a more exact thchnique to share with you, but this is a really bad problem.
good luck
GG
In trying to find a cure, I spoke to two different police dog trainers. After all, their dogs are motivated to bite , hold and eventually release. Hard to find volunteer police officers otherwise, I should imagine.

They described highly motivated dogs who did not release well as "frustrated", and their nerves being switched on also.

Interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Luker, I feel your pain. I have a female, just turned 3 on May 14th, Recd her AKC Master Title @ 30 months and her HRCH Title @ 23 months. Working on Qualifying for the Master Nationals.

I needed two more passes to Qualify. Went to a Hunt Test @ Black Warrior on April 10th, made it thru the first series and in the second on the last Bird which is wet, she crunched every bone in the Bird, needless to say I did not pass that test.

She has ran so many Hunt Test that she is Test Wise. She started Sticking on Birds running Seasoned and Senior Tests. Apparently my Dog has figured out if I take the Bird to him, he is going to take if from me, So now in lieu of heeling to by side with the Bird, she swings around the side and gets behind me drops the bird and chews on the bird, and any command I give her, Here, Heel, Sit she looses all hearing. This only happens in a TEST. Like you, My Dog will not do this in training, Training is perfect.

I got back from dropping that Test @ Black Warrior and we started training in the back yard, I would drop a Bird out in front of her and tell her fetch and she would get it, If I dropped the Bird at her Feet and said fetch she looked at me like are you kidding and blew me off, I had an empty shotgun shell in my hand grabbed her ear and we went thru Force Fetch Again. Then Stick Fetch, No Collar just the Shotgun Shell and the Pinch. She would do it but every other command I would reinforce it. Then I made her drop on command, I would touch the bird and tell her drop. Then I would have her pick it back up. We did this for 2 solid weeks. I had another Master Test @ Magnolia Hunting Retriever Club and she did not think of dropping or sticking. We got a pass. I have another Test this weekend @ Middle Tennessee Amateur Retriever Club (Double Master) If I pass one of these Test she will be Qualified for the Master Nationals. If she gets thru both days without this mouthing Issue, I will hopefully have solved this issue.

Luker, Good luck with your dog, I hope this helps, I know you do not want to hear that you dog is not forced fetched, but I forced fetched my dog and even sent it to a Pro for 1 month to have a peace of mind that I did it correctly and I had to revist the Force Fetch Issue. Keep Me Posted

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Robert: Good luck to you and Madison in TN!

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
..., I know you do not want to hear that you dog is not forced fetched.../QUOTE]

I dont feel that FF is the problem, but at this point Im up for anything that may help. When he first started sticking I put him back on the FF table and forced him to the drop command. This seems to work anywhere other than at a test.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I dont have an answer but this reminds me of the first trial I attended, I was watching the AM and was completely blown away with the dog work when the older gentleman sitting next to me said he needed to go get ready to run but went on to explain to me how his dog had "gotten trial wise" and had a habit of not bring the last bird back, but he was going to try and trick her and not put his white coat on that day, he could never get her to do it in training. Didnt work she nailed the first two marks with perfect delivery did a nice job on the third bird and then proceeded to go around him at the line with the last bird and head straight for the truck. At the time I had a hard time figuring out how such a highly trained dog would do that. Now I know.
She was talented !!!!! But man, what a show !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have dealt with stickiness but never all out freezing. A lady gave me some advice that seemed sound. Before training or going to the line in a test throw a mark and leave it. After finishing training or the test cue the dog to "remember" and before putting the dog in the truck let them have that one last retrieve. This leaves the dog one more mark and if they freeze it is hopefully at the truck. This worked for rehabilitating one of her dogs.

A very prominent hunt test pro can be seen after every test throwing happy bumpers for his dogs. They actually come off the line as animated as they go to the line.

One more thing to try.
Mark Land

·
Registered
405 Posts
I breezed through this thread and may have missed it, but the handler of a sticky dog needs a bag of solutions to go to. The most successfully deployed solution that I have seen and witnessed is teaching remote drop. The new one that I learned recently is to break the behavior that proceeds the stick/freeze. The latter I learned at a seminar this year and the behavior being exhibited was "parading" the last bird. Went to the seminar in February and ran the entire Spring season with no issues, but just like a dog that has never broke before....I keep an eye out for it to happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did not solve the Issue. I did qualify for the Master Nationals and did get a Master Pass for both days, however the dropping and sticking did show back up @ the first series on Saturday. We had some Church Sessions in between tests that put a bandaid on the situaton, but I think it will something that I will always have to visit periodically. Judges told me going into the second series that I would have to have a clean delivery, and we made it through, but it is really nerve racking when you have to be worried about mouthing issues rather than Marks and Blinds.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Teach remote drop.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an almost 8 y.o. male that has developed a sticking problem. It first showed up a couple years ago when I was training for the Grand. First time he ever stuck was in the second series. I just figured it was due to the pressure. Went back to the FF table and forced drop. Ive never been able to get him to stick in training (even tried to simulate a HT with a bunch of folks), and I can run a test every now and again and we are fine, but after a series or two I can almost count on him sticking. As I said before, I figure it was a reaction to the pressure, so I altered my training a bit (liitle pressure, lots of repetition and maintaining the high standards) to try to run another Grand. We were clean going into the third series when he stuck on the diversion. I was able to get it from him after a couple of attempts and I took the blind from him while he was climbing onto the platform.

I went to train before the fourth and with no collar or correction of any type I could command "drop" and he would spit the bird on the ground every time.

On to the fourth. He does the test well and sticks on the last bird, worse than every before. I had to walk off the line and almost couldn't open his mouth with both hands to get the bird (I wish they would have let me take him back to the truck at that point, but no such luck).

Any suggestions to resolve a sticking issue???

Ive tried everything I can think of and everything pretty much anyone has Any suggestions how to resolve this?
Did you ever get a resolution? I have this problem now. 4 tests in the last 10 months. Sticking on very last bird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did not solve the Issue. I did qualify for the Master Nationals and did get a Master Pass for both days, however the dropping and sticking did show back up @ the first series on Saturday. We had some Church Sessions in between tests that put a bandaid on the situaton, but I think it will something that I will always have to visit periodically. Judges told me going into the second series that I would have to have a clean delivery, and we made it through, but it is really nerve racking when you have to be worried about mouthing issues rather than Marks and Blinds.
Did you ever get a resolution? I have this problem now. 4 tests in the last 10 months. Sticking on very last bird.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
The thread is 11 years old so, it's unlikely the dogs still sticking

21 - 35 of 35 Posts